Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Universalsmashe
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Is gravy healthy with food biscuits?

Hi all.

My dog is used to eating half a bowl a day, and that is filled with some meaty chunks in jelly. She absolutely adores it and it used to make her full.

We started feeding her bonios a few months ago to see how she got on after having her normal meal. Just a few days ago, we started feeding her biscuits. We knew she hated the type of biscuit, so we whipped up some gravy and mixed it in. She loves to eat it like that but is it a healthy way to feed a dog? Can this cause problems for her digestive system?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 05:36 AM
By biscuits, I assume you mean "complete" food? Biscuits (mixer) on it's own won't be enough. Adding gravy to complete food is quite a common thing. You can actually buy "dog gravy" for this purpose.

I'm a bit unsure as to why you would change your dog's diet if she was fine on it as it was....... was there a specific reason for this?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Mine sometimes have a bit of gravy, but make sure it's low salt.

If you are feeding complete, a bit of plain warm water mixed in will make its own "gravy"
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Human gravy is far too salty for a dog IMO.
If you want to add something to dry food then look at adding a complete wet food (so the meal remains balanced - remember to feed slightly less biscuits to account for the wet food though) or add small amounts of something healthier, e.g. a small amount of tinned fish.
You could also make your own stock, rather than gravy, for the dog - boil a bone (e.g. chicken bone, or butchers will sell stock bones like venision or ox-tail), let simmer for a while, bin the bone (as cooked bones are dangerous to feed) and portion the stock out into freezabe containers. Defrost one for each meal time and voila, healthy stock. You can add veggies to the water for more flavour if you liked.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 08:30 AM
i wouldnt feed human gravy all the time as i think its too salty. they do do dog gravy ive seen it in places like pets at home.

can i ask why have you change the diet she was on and what type of biscuits are you feeding?
Universalsmashe
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
By biscuits, I assume you mean "complete" food? Biscuits (mixer) on it's own won't be enough. Adding gravy to complete food is quite a common thing. You can actually buy "dog gravy" for this purpose.

I'm a bit unsure as to why you would change your dog's diet if she was fine on it as it was....... was there a specific reason for this?
Yeah, there is a specific reason.

She likes her meaty foods and loves her biscuits. We thought we'd combine it but it didn't work out. But the biscuits help her with pooping as she used to get constipated once a month. She's a healthy dog so our only conclusion was the food.
Universalsmashe
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Human gravy is far too salty for a dog IMO.
If you want to add something to dry food then look at adding a complete wet food (so the meal remains balanced - remember to feed slightly less biscuits to account for the wet food though) or add small amounts of something healthier, e.g. a small amount of tinned fish.
You could also make your own stock, rather than gravy, for the dog - boil a bone (e.g. chicken bone, or butchers will sell stock bones like venision or ox-tail), let simmer for a while, bin the bone (as cooked bones are dangerous to feed) and portion the stock out into freezabe containers. Defrost one for each meal time and voila, healthy stock. You can add veggies to the water for more flavour if you liked.
We have a special way of making the gravy less salty. We boil some water, we then add gravy to the mixture, and the gravy is saturated by us. We do it by boiling the gravy mixture (when the water is added) and then putting it over steam. This makes alot of salt so we then just get rid of it and voila, she has her gravy.
Universalsmashe
New Member!
Male 

18-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

If you are feeding complete, a bit of plain warm water mixed in will make its own "gravy"
We saturate the gravy anyway, because we have bestos. That doesn't have much salt but it's too much for a dog. So we boil the salt and get rid of about 20% and she has good gravy (for a dog of course).

I just wanted to know if this was healthy. I researched it and it said (if it's low salt) that it can be very good for their digestive system
Universalsmashe
New Member!
Male 

22-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Well, my dog likes meat and moisturised whole meal. So we stopped using the gravy and used some meat dog food with Jelly! She likes it especially with beef and garden Vegetables
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 09:09 PM
You can buy low-salt stock cubes. I use them sometimes if I'm cooking some meat in the slow-cooker for the dogs.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >