Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Superted
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Heart Warming 'tails' In Dogs Trust Awards Final

Just had to share as this is so lovely and happy

Dogs Trust today announced the shortlists for the 2011 Dogs Trust Honours, revealing heroic and heart-warming stories from all over the country, and H&C has gone all mushy!

Now in its fourth year, Dogs Trust Honours is the awards ceremony that celebrates the relationship between man and dog. Throughout March and April, the public have been nominating those dogs and humans they think deserve recognition for their dedication or bravery. Finalist’s amazing stories include:

A rescue dog that without any training gives physical support to his disabled owner and is best friend to her autistic son

The British dog lover who rescued dogs from the chaotic and dangerous aftermath of the Japanese earthquake

A 12-year-old dog that has made weekly therapeutic visits to seriously ill hospital patients for the past nine years.
Fireman nominated

Also shortlisted is Humberside fireman Mick Dunn whose dedication in resuscitating a dog that was rescued from a burning building, hit the headlines earlier this year. The dog, Sunny, has since fully recovered.

Mick Dunn says: “It’s an honour to be shortlisted for such an award as I am a huge dog lover myself. I was just doing my duty and many other firefighters would have done the same. I am still in touch with Sunny’s owners so I keep track of her progress. I am thrilled she has made a full recovery as she is such a lovely dog and her owners are very attached to her.”
Record number of nominations

A record number of nominations were received and the judging panel including well known dog lovers Martin Freeman, Graham Norton, Miranda Hart, John Partridge, Brian Sewell, Clare Balding and Nicky Campbell now has the hard task of choosing the overall winners. Sun readers will vote for their Hero Dog winner. The five award categories are:

Hero Dog The award for acts of bravery. From pet dogs to those supporting the military, police and other services. In association with The Sun.

Golden Oldie A lifetime achievement award for special dogs over 7 years old that have achieved a lot in their lifetime. In association with Full House!

Dogged Devotion The award for dogs that provide emotional support and act as canine lifelines for their owners.

Celebrity Canine For dogs in the public eye, including those on TV or who belong to celebrities.

Dog’s Best Friend For people who make a big difference to the lives of dogs, or owners that go the extra mile for their beloved canine companion. In association with Dogs Today.
Guests of honour

The winning hairy heroes will be presented with their awards at the fabulous Dogs Trust Honours event - hosted by Paul Ross - at Haberdashers Hall in London’s Smithfield on 1st June 2011. As guests of honour they will attend with their owners and be treated like the Very Important Pooches they are!

Clarissa Baldwin, Dogs Trust Chief Executive and Dogs Trust Honours Head Judge, comments: “Even now, in the fourth year of Dogs Trust Honours we have been overwhelmed by truly amazing nominations highlighting how much man and dog do for each other. So many of them bring a tear to your eye or add a spring to your step. The other judges and I will have a tough time picking the winners!"
dogs really are amazing