View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I used to live next to a farm in a farmworkers house. There was the farmhouse and then ours and the shepherds attached. We didn't have any problems and really enjoyed living there.

Certainly worth a look. Just don't be one of these people who moan about noise and muck

Good luck!

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
It looks/sounds brilliant.

From google earth it looks to be arable (but could be a mixed farm). Does it say anywhere it is a working farm?

I think the best advice I could give you, is to pop along and have a look and get a feel for the place. Ask the agent any questions and query anything you are worried about.

And I agree with Helen - I don't want to hear any moaning about smells or noise if you do take up the lease LOL!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Oh, that sounds so interesting! Looking forward to hear how you get on

I would love to live in a place like that, I used to stay with my aunt in the summer, and she lives all around farms... I loved it. The smell was bad when I first arrived, but I got used to it quickly and stopped being able to smell it That would be my perfect place to live... I doubt I will though, since OH isn't a fan of the country
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Has anyone any experience of living in this type of house? We haven't!
Lucie, we haven't either but I'm pleased to see you are making progress with the house move thing, it must be exciting for you. This place we're in now was once a farm (a very small one) and we still have local farmers around us, yes the tractors tend to go up and down our road early in the morning, and sometimes early evening too, but thats not often and there is almost no other traffic.

I would echo what others have said, go there, stop and just take in the place, I would even suggest you talk to a few local people, ask them what they like or don't like about the place.

How are your dogs with sheep, farmers have always had the right to shoot sheep worrying dogs and they do exactly that from time to time so you must make sure that aspect is OK.

Good luck with the move, whether you move into this place or some other.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, we went.......I loved it , the house was a lovely size, a little tatty around the edges but once our furniture is in and the fire is roaring.... there was a few small outhouses too, a garage, a big garden which was fully enclosed - but one side was a pretty naff mesh fence.

What sort of farm is it?............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................

A PIG FARM!!!

I could hear them oinking in the big shed! LOL! My mum grew up on a pig farm! Maybe it's meant to be, it's in my blood LOL, she's ringing me in a mo when she's home to give me the low down - well, critisise and give me all the negative points I imagine...she's a little bit like that .

The farmer lives close by, and the other bigger house on the plot is rented out to a family, they have a few horses in a paddock and 2 dogs apparently.

There was no smell, no noise and just a lot of fresh air. OIL central heating though but 2 real fires. The estate agent reackons the farmer only visited once a week - eh? The farm is at the end of a lane which serves 2 other farms so no passing tractors from any other farm.

Broadband - ? Eek need to look into it, I also forgot to check if i got a signal - doh!

Great location, hardly any livestock in the fields surrounding it - i'm right in thinking they would be out this time of year wouldn't they?

Bloomin men though - my hubby is all 'Yeah it's ok, lets just go and see a few more at the weekend..' Grr, hardly any opinion on it, what are they like eh?

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I used to live next to a farm in a farmworkers house. There was the farmhouse and then ours and the shepherds attached. We didn't have any problems and really enjoyed living there.

Certainly worth a look. Just don't be one of these people who moan about noise and muck

Good luck!

Helen
Oo no, i won't moan, the only moaning i'll be doing is about the other half, as above, as usual

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Lucie, we haven't either but I'm pleased to see you are making progress with the house move thing, it must be exciting for you. This place we're in now was once a farm (a very small one) and we still have local farmers around us, yes the tractors tend to go up and down our road early in the morning, and sometimes early evening too, but thats not often and there is almost no other traffic.

I would echo what others have said, go there, stop and just take in the place, I would even suggest you talk to a few local people, ask them what they like or don't like about the place.

How are your dogs with sheep, farmers have always had the right to shoot sheep worrying dogs and they do exactly that from time to time so you must make sure that aspect is OK.

Good luck with the move, whether you move into this place or some other.
One of my dogs, the older one, the male, Zeke who is in remission from Lymphoma and suffers with arthritis now as he is getting older was a sheep worrier in his time, that is, looked very keen to chase (always on a lead around livestock) he seems to not bother as much now, i can't see him climbing any hedges to get to them. Both my dogs are walked on leads - keisha due to her prey drive with rabbits etc, and zeke is just on 2 short walks a day and not allowed off his lead because of his arthritis, so I'm not too worried about the field of sheep in the distance (we actually have ones nearer where we are now than what i saw today!)

We also viewed another house in a village but it was too small we felt once we got in it.

Our house went up to let YESTERDAY, it is currently on the agents website and on rightmove with no photos uploaded yet, and we have 2 viewings booked in already for this week I thought they told everyone it would go quickly, looks like they might have meant it
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I would imagine you'd be able to get broadband, I live on top of a hill in the middle of no where and have really good broadband, even though I was told it's unlikely I'd be able to get it!

I've noticed with most places I've been to in Yorkshire, that some networks get better signal than others, so if you don't get a signal, ask around to see if there's a network that works!

I'm glad you liked it, there's nothing better than rural living!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I would imagine you'd be able to get broadband, I live on top of a hill in the middle of no where and have really good broadband, even though I was told it's unlikely I'd be able to get it!

I've noticed with most places I've been to in Yorkshire, that some networks get better signal than others, so if you don't get a signal, ask around to see if there's a network that works!

I'm glad you liked it, there's nothing better than rural living!
Ooh that's great to know about the broadband, thank you! The land where it is is very flat, there was also a sky dish on the end of the house?

Yeah i'm sure there's a couple of networks that get a good signal, it's easy enough to change over
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Re livestock in the fields: sheep will be out with their lambs, but cattle often aren't let out until it gets warmer roughly April time!!!!

I loved living in the country, as I have the majority of my life, and I'll move back one day. What makes me laugh, though, is the "quiet, rural location" - rural farms are anything but quiet!

One thing I don't miss in the country during the Summer - trudging through haylage fields with grass up to your thighs just after it's rained! Not fun when the vast majority of our Summers are washouts!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Re livestock in the fields: sheep will be out with their lambs, but cattle often aren't let out until it gets warmer roughly April time!!!!

I loved living in the country, as I have the majority of my life, and I'll move back one day. What makes me laugh, though, is the "quiet, rural location" - rural farms are anything but quiet!

One thing I don't miss in the country during the Summer - trudging through haylage fields with grass up to your thighs just after it's rained! Not fun when the vast majority of our Summers are washouts!
I saw just one field of cows, so i'll maybe expect more! God i'm a bit scared of cows haha, luckily my dogs are very wary of them too.

I checked out the O/S map online (might be a naff version, must get hold of a proper o/s map) and there was only one footpath down the edge of one field I mean, the lane is good enough to walk the dogs along for their morning stroll, and the Dales aren't too far away...but i wonder how strict the rules are as to where we can walk the dogs, onlead down the edge of an odd field...? (i mean, all those empty fields.....?!)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I saw just one field of cows, so i'll maybe expect more! God i'm a bit scared of cows haha, luckily my dogs are very wary of them too.

I checked out the O/S map online (might be a naff version, must get hold of a proper o/s map) and there was only one footpath down the edge of one field I mean, the lane is good enough to walk the dogs along for their morning stroll, and the Dales aren't too far away...but i wonder how strict the rules are as to where we can walk the dogs, onlead down the edge of an odd field...? (i mean, all those empty fields.....?!)
Most places I've lived have fields where the locals walk their dogs that have no public footpaths - it's often just a mutual understanding between the land owner and the villagers as they often know each other very well!

Cattle may be something you have to get used to if you want to do true country walks as empty pastoral fields at this time of year will more than likely contain cattle during the warmer months. Doing a lot of hill walking/rambling I come across cattle very regularly via public footpaths, but having lived in the country most of my life and being faced with them often on a day to day basis means cattle don't generally bother me.

Ironically I only came close to being trampled by cattle after I moved to my local town 2 and a half years ago!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >