View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Never had dogs as a child we always had cats but my OH had a King Charles Spaniel as a boy.

I had a Jack Russell from a pup, i was totally ignorant and clueless, got him from unscrupulous breeders as it turned out. Things didn't work out unfortunately and we ended up having to rehome him. I take full responsibility for this and still think about him every day.

A year went past and i was reading the local paper which showed an advert for ex racing greyhounds. I did my research (after learning the hard way) went to visit RGT kennels and ended up with Kim whom we have had for 4 years now.

I then decided one was not enough and went to the Dogs Trust (for a look round lol) and ended up getting Bella a lurcher.

I love the look of pointy dogs and they have a fab temperament, not the sharpest tools in the box but i love them !

There are other breeds i would love to own though, Irish Setters, Vizla, Saluki and lots more !
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by EgyptGal View Post
Because i'm mad
Yet another Beagle litter at MT..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Border collies - I didnt choose Jed, he belonged to the ex and Jessie was chosen from the rescue for her temperament, not the breed she was.

Flynn was chosen because I wanted something that was absolutely nothing like a collie! I liked the GWP's but they were out of my price range and Flynn's litter came up and seemed like a good compromise at the right price.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 05:14 PM
It was fate
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I was influenced a lot by my childhood and teenage books as was Moobli ; I remember too reading Joyce Stranger, and the book about a Groenendael called "Jack", plus quite a few others such as "Skipper the dog from the sea"

I wanted rough collie to border collie to GSD, and then unexpectedly found the beautiful BSD Groenendael. BSDs were rare then (1980s) so never thought I'd get one. I did, but not the G. I ended up with a Terv and a bitch to boot (when I had wanted a dog). 15 weeks and the last of the litter, but my soul dog and everything I ever wanted. Marvellous genes and a different shape and temperament to today's BSDs - longer in the body, less coat, steady but very bonkers paradoxically The most agile and wonderful loving dog I ever owned.

I think what appeals to me is their natural beauty, intelligence and grace along with watchdog character, plus so much love and loyalty to their family. They have a sense of humour and are very sensitive to the owner.

Wys
x
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I grew up loving GSD's and always knew my first dog would be a GSD.
I love the breed and everything about them.

I got a collie as I wanted a breed with the potential to be more competitive in agility. Again I love everything about them.

I may own other breeds down the line, but I will never be without a GSD or Border collie in my life.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I love whippets because they are beautiful , elegant , funny and oh soooooooo easy
I love my poodle because she is funny and clever and I always wanted one as a child and wasn't allowed to get one
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Always wanted a Dobermann, just love their looks, velcroness,inteligence, willingness to learn, loyal nature (if i go to the park i like a dog that wants to be with and interact with me) and their beautiful eyes - can't imagine having another breed now - well maybe a couple of breeds to go with a dobermann but definately not a home without a dobie.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I was influenced a lot by my childhood and teenage books as was Moobli ; I remember too reading Joyce Stranger, and the book about a Groenendael called "Jack", plus quite a few others such as "Skipper the dog from the sea"

I wanted rough collie to border collie to GSD, and then unexpectedly found the beautiful BSD Groenendael. BSDs were rare then (1980s) so never thought I'd get one. I did, but not the G. I ended up with a Terv and a bitch to boot (when I had wanted a dog). 15 weeks and the last of the litter, but my soul dog and everything I ever wanted. Marvellous genes and a different shape and temperament to today's BSDs - longer in the body, less coat, steady but very bonkers paradoxically The most agile and wonderful loving dog I ever owned.

I think what appeals to me is their natural beauty, intelligence and grace along with watchdog character, plus so much love and loyalty to their family. They have a sense of humour and are very sensitive to the owner.

Wys
x
I borrowed that book from the library and never took it back as I loved it so much (I was young!). I read it again recently and still enjoyed it (and had tears at the end!). Did you ever read any other books by Frank Walker? I also have "Banjo" and "The Lurcher". They are probably aimed at children really, but I still enjoy them.

I also remember reading a book called "The Starlight Barking" as well as various other dog books. I was dog mad!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Because I am asthmatic with an allergy to dogs so had to have a suitable breed. I wanted an Airedale and Jamie said "too big" and found a Kerry Blue in a dog book and liked what was written about them.

After researching them I agreed and I am glad I didn't have an Airedale as I used to have Cairns and my Kerries seemed huge when we first got them (rescued 2 adult dogs) so an Airedale would have seemed gigantic!

I especially like their soft wavy fur as most terriers are wiry.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >