View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Hmmm can you not get milk in a supermarket that is a) organic or b) soya/oat etc?

If you have a butcher, you are lucky, many towns no longer HAVE a butcher, including mine, but then I suppose you COULD drive further, may more money, increase your carbon emissions etc etc

Not always easy to be ethical .................
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Sounds good

you've got my, my family's and all my friends help and support with it, please, please shout up if there's anything we can do to help xx

azz, my mum swears by your thoughts and blames her diet for her cancer, the added hormones etc, she now has a 100% organic diet. As does my Zeke who got cancer this year too.

That's right NOUSHKA05, here's to hoping, I for one will never buy a pint of supermarket milk again. Yesterday I bought my 1st ever pint of soya milk and me and my fiance have just enjoyed it very much in our porridge! Yippeee!
nice one Akitagirl be careful tho which soya products you buy because the soya in most brands are not eco friendly im afraid, they destroy rainforest to grow it...but provamel and alpro source all their beans and use only ethically produced ones....all their 'yoghurts' and desserts are yummy and alpro unsweetened is my favourite milk

edited to say im really sorry your Mums been poorly xx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hmmm can you not get milk in a supermarket that is a) organic or b) soya/oat etc?

If you have a butcher, you are lucky, many towns no longer HAVE a butcher, including mine, but then I suppose you COULD drive further, may more money, increase your carbon emissions etc etc

Not always easy to be ethical .................
Thats very true.
There is no butcher either where I live, or where I work (when I'm working)!
For me to go to a butcher it would involve a 10 mile drive to down, pay £3 to park, walk through town (not easy when you're ill/disabled!)....then the walk back, stuck in traffic trying to get out of town etc.....

And no to anyone....I won't give up meat - I have a balanced diet, that isn't doing me any harm!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Sounds good

you've got my, my family's and all my friends help and support with it, please, please shout up if there's anything we can do to help xx

azz, my mum swears by your thoughts and blames her diet for her cancer, the added hormones etc, she now has a 100% organic diet. As does my Zeke who got cancer this year too.

That's right NOUSHKA05, here's to hoping, I for one will never buy a pint of supermarket milk again. Yesterday I bought my 1st ever pint of soya milk and me and my fiance have just enjoyed it very much in our porridge! Yippeee!
I will PM you and Moobli (and anyone else connected to farming who may be interested) with my idea at some point

Sorry to hear your mum and Zeke has cancer going organic is a great step, but there's lots more you can do. Here's some of the things I'd do:
  • Aim for a more alkaline diet (mostly veg, fruit and organic meat) (Cancer - in fact most 'disease' hate alkaline)
  • Completely stay off sugars, yeast, lactose and any chemicals that may be added to food (these feed 'bad' bacteria and disease, and sugar is also an immune suppressants)
  • Ditch fluoride toothpaste and chemical deodorants etc
  • Drink plenty of bottled water
  • Take Garlic capsules (biocare are a good brand)
  • Take acidophilous
  • Go to see me friend Tracy (an applied kiniseiologist) and get more specific advice

Here's the detox I used to do (and am pretty much back on it)
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I was always quite proud of myself when I was a veggie for not contributing a great deal to the conditions that farm animals endure. However, since I returned to the dark side and began eating meat again, obviously my purchases now make an impact.

I always buy free range, corn fed chicken and we've got it for Xmas dinner tomorrow because I know if I left it to my Mum, we'd have the cheapest. I always make sure any meat I buy is sourced from UK farms and it's not enough to simply say 'produced in the UK'.

I dont eat a great deal of meat anyway, still preferring much of what I used to eat as a veggie but i've tried to be as ethical a shopper as possible for around 20 years.

I didnt see the Panorama programme but I did see the Countryfile article and was appalled in particular at how the pigs were kept. However, I do understand that in an overcrowded world where land is at a premium, intensive methods of food production are going to be on the increase.

The ultimate starting point is to stop having so many human babies!
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I was always quite proud of myself when I was a veggie for not contributing a great deal to the conditions that farm animals endure. However, since I returned to the dark side and began eating meat again, obviously my purchases now make an impact.

I always buy free range, corn fed chicken and we've got it for Xmas dinner tomorrow because I know if I left it to my Mum, we'd have the cheapest. I always make sure any meat I buy is sourced from UK farms and it's not enough to simply say 'produced in the UK'.

I dont eat a great deal of meat anyway, still preferring much of what I used to eat as a veggie but i've tried to be as ethical a shopper as possible for around 20 years.

I didnt see the Panorama programme but I did see the Countryfile article and was appalled in particular at how the pigs were kept. However, I do understand that in an overcrowded world where land is at a premium, intensive methods of food production are going to be on the increase.

The ultimate starting point is to stop having so many human babies!
Definitely agree with your last sentence!!

And we had corn fed free range chicken for xmas dinner too, it's the only chicken we ever eat!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2010, 05:24 PM
I remember watching about this on Countryfile and feeling total disbelief and shock. There are many issues surrounding it all but growing and keeping animals in such a way just isn't right, i know people who grow vegetables more respect and compassion(jmo)
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Haven't seen the prog, but have been told about it.

I knew about intensive farming before that though, and it is shocking to say the least. Any animals raised in such an establishment over here, would still have more space then they do in America, and wouldn't be filled with growth hormones either. It is a small consolation, but a consolation none the less.

However, establishments like this, are to be expected with increasing human populations. Its rather simple really, if you want more room for grazing cattle, pigs and sheep, then stop over breeding. It maybe shocking to some to suggest that they don't/shouldn't have the right to just pop out as many kids as they feel like, but thats exactly what I'm suggesting, and, I dare say, that rather sooner than expected there'll come a day, when either people will have to be more responsible threw choice, or force.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3