View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esullivan
New Member!
Female 

06-10-2016, 10:21 PM

Potty training an adult male rescue...HELP!

My husband and I adopted a 3 year old hound mix in January of this year, so we've had him about 10 months now. We're dealing with different potty training triggers: 1) separation anxiety (from my husband and I being gone at work during the day) 2.) anger/spite (once after a bath, once because my husband wouldn't let him outside when he was mowing the lawn even though he had JUST been out)

We've tried the following:
1. Crating - We have a wire crate that is admittedly a little too big for him, so he just lifts his leg and pees outside of it.

2. Thunderjacket - We guessed that his issue was due to separation anxiety, so we got the thunderjacket to help with that. Combined that and the crate, which worked for about a week then stopped working.

3. Belly band - he just rips it off

4. Praising outside potty time

5. Disappointed voice when he has an accident

6. Noisemaker when catching him in the act

7, Enzyme cleaners to eliminate the odor

I just don't know what to do anymore. He has had good spells, which have lasted as long as 4 weeks, but inevitably, he goes right back to peeing in the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DoggieBloggie
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2016, 05:48 PM
I recently wrote a blogpost on housebreaking puppies. I understand that your dog is an adult but maybe going right back to the start with him might help? Anyway here is the link, maybe it will help you. Sounds like you are trying so hard!
[link removed]