Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren the thing I was thinking of is normally seen in younger puppies and makes them a bit poorly and off their food. As I said it really is best not to speculate, only the vet can tell you what is wrong .

I guess the vet may give Jake a short course of steroids and some antibiotics, don't worry I am sure he will be fine .
thanks, my sister told me that her friends vet told her to give her dog (who is allergic to grass but this was before they knew what was causing it) piriton, and then some baby calpol... do you think that would be ok? i dont want to give him anything i shouldnt.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thanks, my sister told me that her friends vet told her to give her dog (who is allergic to grass but this was before they knew what was causing it) piriton, and then some baby calpol... do you think that would be ok? i dont want to give him anything i shouldnt.
Hi Lauren I personally would never give a dog human medication unless advised to do so by a vet.
If a vet advises a medication and the dog has an adverse reaction the vet is responsible.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 06:35 AM
hey Lauren
I would not like to say what it is but would be following Mini's advice and Lilypup's and get him to the vet ASAP, I would say it could be related to him not wanting to eat if it is around his mouth also.
I know it is the weekend but if they are open I would be taking him down there, if not first thing Monday it looks quite inflammed and raw.
Hopefully it will be an allergy related thing and can be sorted easily with some antibiotics, steroids and/or anti inflammatory's.
Might need allergy testing if it is an allergy as it can be so many things.
They are such a worry at times, and know when to worry you even more (when the vets are normally shut and cost you that much more to take them)
Hug to you and Jake.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren I personally would never give a dog human medication unless advised to do so by a vet.
If a vet advises a medication and the dog has an adverse reaction the vet is responsible.
thanks, i wont give him it then

Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
hey Lauren
I would not like to say what it is but would be following Mini's advice and Lilypup's and get him to the vet ASAP, I would say it could be related to him not wanting to eat if it is around his mouth also.
I know it is the weekend but if they are open I would be taking him down there, if not first thing Monday it looks quite inflammed and raw.
Hopefully it will be an allergy related thing and can be sorted easily with some antibiotics, steroids and/or anti inflammatory's.
Might need allergy testing if it is an allergy as it can be so many things.
They are such a worry at times, and know when to worry you even more (when the vets are normally shut and cost you that much more to take them)
Hug to you and Jake.
thanks, i think it must be an allergy coz this is the 2nd time its happened... i hope they do test what it is for my piece of mind...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
i was also wondering, can the ears (inside... well underside...) be affected by an allergy? coz it started with his eyes, then ears and then mouth...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Looks like demodex Mange to me.....off to the vets with you!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Looks like demodex Mange to me.....off to the vets with you!
i hadnt thought of that! it very well could be that, i know it can start around the eyes but does it affect the mouth and ears too? doesnt that mean he has a low immune system? so if it is that, will he keep getting it??
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
i hadnt thought of that! it very well could be that, i know it can start around the eyes but does it affect the mouth and ears too? doesnt that mean he has a low immune system? so if it is that, will he keep getting it??
Yes can go anywhere & very common around the Mouth.

It means his immune system is too low to keep the hair Mites in Check,

You Need to boost his immune system & Treat this case, They DO tend in most cases grow out of it. Hes at the exact right age for it!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Yes can go anywhere & very common around the Mouth.

It means his immune system is too low to keep the hair Mites in Check,

You Need to boost his immune system & Treat this case, They DO tend in most cases grow out of it. Hes at the exact right age for it!
thanks, i think that must be it. i would rather it be that, than an allergy tbh. i just read that it could come back until he is about 18 months and his immune system is fully mature... do you know how the vet will treat it?

is it common in the ears? like under his flaps?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
thanks, i think that must be it. i would rather it be that, than an allergy tbh. i just read that it could come back until he is about 18 months and his immune system is fully mature... do you know how the vet will treat it?

is it common in the ears? like under his flaps?
Probaley with Advocate, You have to be careful he dosent lick the area of the advocate cos hes part collie.

It will show up first where the hair is thinnist
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »