Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Naming and Shaming

The problem of people letting their dogs foul the showground and not cleaning up after them appears to be one that will never be solved... until now!
At Kilkenny show last weekend, despite regular announcements about it - the venue was a rugby club so it was doubly important so they could have the venue next year - people were still not cleaning up. Then - the committee had a bright idea and the next announcement was along these lines.....
"would the owners of a (breed) Mr & Mrs xxxxxxx whose dog has just fouled outside ring 9 please return and clear it up!"
This was met by a round of applause and funnily enough, there were no more incidents reported.
I wonder who will be brave enough to do the same at future shows?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
The problem of people letting their dogs foul the showground and not cleaning up after them appears to be one that will never be solved... until now!
At Kilkenny show last weekend, despite regular announcements about it - the venue was a rugby club so it was doubly important so they could have the venue next year - people were still not cleaning up. Then - the committee had a bright idea and the next announcement was along these lines.....
"would the owners of a (breed) Mr & Mrs xxxxxxx whose dog has just fouled outside ring 9 please return and clear it up!"
This was met by a round of applause and funnily enough, there were no more incidents reported.
I wonder who will be brave enough to do the same at future shows?

hee hee hee what a good plan
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
A big round of aplause for whoever thought of that one.

In addition, an exhibitors ring number could easily be printed on the car park pass, to allow the officials to identify anyone that leaves a dog or dogs in the car on a warm/hot day. I wouldn't mind being the one announcing over the tannoy, would Mr Joe Bloggs please go back to his car immediately to attend to his distressed dog,(insert breed).

Dawn R.
brandy barrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
The owners should know better - and probably do!! Good on the announcer!! It is about time someone dealt with careless owners. Shame the same can't be done on the streets where I live!!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
A great idea to name and shame these irresponsible people as we lose many venues because they are too lazy to pick up after their dogs. Glad someone had the nerve to do this .
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Meant to add that I agree the same should be done to those who leave their dogs in hot cars a ring number on the parking ticket as someone suggested would be a really good idea and hopefully put a stop to this, I feel exhibitors should have learnt by now about this and picking up after their dogs but unfortunately some never do and its the others who suffer because as I already said we lose good venues.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 08:37 AM
LoL Deccy !!!!!!
Well........what a great idea,Pity people have to be 'shamed' into clearing up their dogs 'mess'
and i agree with the car thing too,I was at Morrisons Saturday and went back to my car to find a poor dog sat in full sun,locked in the car next to mine,window was down slightly but 'Puurlease' .......you're shopping !!!!.......what a stupid thing to do, take ur dog and leave it to fry in the car...DUH !!!!!
I waited and told them so.........woman looked flabbergasted that i had said something........She's lucky i didn't 'poke her in the eye' !!!!!!!!!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Yes it is about time that more was done, especially at dog events, to bring these people to the attention of others. I just don't put my dogs in my car at all whilst it is hot (barring a veterinary emergency of course). If you get stuck in traffic it can be only minutes before your dog is in distress.

I know someone who received a KC ban years ago for leaving his dogs in a trailer at an Obedience show. He received a five year ban and £100 fine, the ban to take effect from the time of him paying his fine - which he never did. He now has an indefinate ban until which time he pays his fine, then his five year ban comes into effect.

More should be done to stop people leaving their pets in vehicles. One of the local markets near to me puts over the tannoy at regular intervals that they do not allow dogs to be left in cars - why anyone would wnat to trek their dog around a market in this heat is beyond me - it is too hot and too busy. they are far better off left at home in the cool.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
What a fantastic, simple solution to the problem! That ought to be standard at dog shows. I find it amazing that people who put so much energy into grooming and trimming their dogs into top condition, who put so much effort into ringcraft classes, and who spend hours of their life driving to take part in dog shows can't find the time to pick up a dog turd
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Bet the person who didn't pick up never forgets again. I would be mortified if that hapened to me - but then again it wouldn't because I always pick up.

What does infuriate me is the times that I have been accused of not not picking up just because I have multiple dogs. Not outright accused but subtle hints thrown my way - which then get thrown right back I might add. Why should the mess be mine? I have often found that the people with just one dog are the ones more likely to not scoop the poop. I have poop bags in every pocket and every bag. I keep a pack of bags in the car and even my 3 year old grandaughter like to have poop bags in her pocket (I draw the line at letting her pick up though).

Every where you go, beauty spots etc, there are piles left behind by inconsiderate people. They actually pretend they haven't seen their dog do the mess, I tell them if I see them and offer them a bag as they have obviously forgotten their own!!! Rarely do they refuse the offer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >