Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2005, 10:55 AM

phantom pregnancy once speyed!!!

Well i am shocked as is the vet, Polly went to have her stiches removed post speying today and she was diagnosed with having a phantom pegnancy!her teats are swollen up and filled with milk, she is also having the behaviour of a pregnant bitch, this would explain her worsened aggression since being speyed, but my question is how? how is it possible for a bitch whilst recovering from speying to have a phantom pregnancy, the vet said he and his collueges (sp) have never heard anything like this, so how is it possible?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Luke A phantom pregnancy comes as a result of hormones activity following a bitches season. That is why you are advised not to have a bitch spayed until three months after the first day of a season to prevent hormones affecting the bitch. I would think it unusual for a bitch to have a phantom if spayed after the three months has elapsed but many things are possible.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 11:54 AM
have not heard of it luke ....
Dogsrule
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Have never heard of this. Did you ask the vet how he thought this was possible? As sureley he/she would have an idea?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2005, 12:47 PM
I have, when the bitch was spayed too near her last season and the hormonal change was apparent before surgery.
Dawn.