Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
It's good to know there seems to be some effective remedies for it.

Have to say that if I was advised that my breed of dog could end up with urinary incontinence if spayed I think I'd opt not to have her done. 10 - 12 yrs or more owning an incontinent large dog isn't something I'd like to take the risk of if I could avoid it.
well the vets don't generally mention it before spaying to be fair. Rio didn't develop incontinence until she was 6. It drove me to distraction tbh until we got to the bottom of it and found something that worked. My lounge carpet was covered with a huge sheet of damp proof membrane for months. The propalin has worked far better than I expected and not a drip has been seen since the very first day she started taking it. She only takes it once a day and at a reduced rate for her weight, I keep meaning to try and reduce it further but don't want to risk going backwards. At least by taking a reduced dose we have the option of increasing it if it ever gets worse. None of my other bitches have been spayed yet, tbf my other Dobermann bitch has issues which could be aggravated by spaying and I keep saying the pugs are too young. I think they'll be too young for a while yet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
well the vets don't generally mention it before spaying to be fair. Rio didn't develop incontinence until she was 6. It drove me to distraction tbh until we got to the bottom of it and found something that worked. My lounge carpet was covered with a huge sheet of damp proof membrane for months. The propalin has worked far better than I expected and not a drip has been seen since the very first day she started taking it. She only takes it once a day and at a reduced rate for her weight, I keep meaning to try and reduce it further but don't want to risk going backwards. At least by taking a reduced dose we have the option of increasing it if it ever gets worse. None of my other bitches have been spayed yet, tbf my other Dobermann bitch has issues which could be aggravated by spaying and I keep saying the pugs are too young. I think they'll be too young for a while yet.
Well my last big dog (GSD) was never spayed (not bred either - I just didn't see why to have it done) her mother before her wasn't either and lived longer but did have the one litter at 6yrs old. Mine died aged about 11 and I was told afterwards that the conditions - breast tumours and pylometris(sp?) are less likely to occur in spayed bitches. I felt rather aggrieved when I did find out. But then I'd always understood that 10 or 11 was the expected lifespan for a GSD even tho some do live longer.

It was when I was trying to decide whether to have my Cavvy spayed I found out about this and them being 'healthier for it' if you are not going to breed. I had her done (aged 4) as soon as I was told. I was considering it anyway as, for a little dog, her seasons were a total 6 act drama! Much worse than the previous big dog - started when she was 6 months, came every 6 months and seemed to last forever.

People really should be told ALL the pros and cons of various procedures IMHO. To make informed decisions. Still think I couldn't 'opt' to have anything done that would result in an incontinent dog unless it was a lifesaving procedure.

Going for a swim now.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Before Little One was spayed at about 9 months old, I queried spay incontinence with my Vet, and was told that it was predominantly large breeds that were affected. She never had any problems and luckily Pereg, also spayed at about 9 months, has, so far, not shown any signs of it, although possibly the fact that she needs to go out to pee once or twice every night might be masking any tendency to incontinence.
I have had 2 bitches with this, one was about 10ins high, another 13ins and one 25ins tall. Gracie, the 10in high dog came with this, she had been in rescue for 8 months and they said they hadn't noticed. I had a nearly full bottle from Dixie so started her on Propolin right away. I had her for 5.5 years and she never wet her bed again.

There are lots of theories on why this happens but no seen anything to back them up.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
That's a bit worrying if it is as a result of spaying and apparently seems quite well known? Is it connected with the age they are spayed at?
don't think it makes a difference as my friends dog , which is a doberman, was spayed at nearly 2 years old and she's got it..
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Just had at look online at spay incontinence. ALot of good reviews on cranberry supplements, might be worth considering combined with her recommend meds.Maybe check yourself and see what you think
I had a look at the cranberry already and will order some tablets of that, in the meantime, I will start her off on the hormone tablets which I am getting tomorrow at nearly 25 euro for 30... and the propolis I will look at too but I already found out that they are about 30 odd euro for 100 ml and it goes by weight and 3 times a day to start off with.. not sure if we can afford that having already a male with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency EPI
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
I had a look at the cranberry already and will order some tablets of that, in the meantime, I will start her off on the hormone tablets which I am getting tomorrow at nearly 25 euro for 30... and the propolis I will look at too but I already found out that they are about 30 odd euro for 100 ml and it goes by weight and 3 times a day to start off with.. not sure if we can afford that having already a male with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency EPI
Would soon add up, that's for sure. Hope you find something that works for her. Wish you well
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Before Little One was spayed at about 9 months old, I queried spay incontinence with my Vet, and was told that it was predominantly large breeds that were affected. She never had any problems and luckily Pereg, also spayed at about 9 months, has, so far, not shown any signs of it, although possibly the fact that she needs to go out to pee once or twice every night might be masking any tendency to incontinence.
Could well be Malka, where as mine can go in and out as they please as our doors are always open... she doesn't notice it until it is too late... always had dogs ( 48 years nearly ) and never had one with this or the boy with EPI.. my vet only got 2 in his clinic with either of that too...
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Eva , post spaying urinary incontinence seems to be more prevalent in larger breeds.
I know a number of people who have had success treating it with Propalin syrup.
thanks Meg, will definitely look into it but what I have seen so far is that it is frightfully expensive... need to investigate a bit more on that one..
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I have only ever given Propolin once a day and apart from the first few days never given the full dose.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by greatbarnet View Post
I have a Saint with the same issue, presumed as a result of her spay (I adopted her at 3 and she was already incontinent). She's on Propalin syrup twice a day. Started on three times a day if I remember correctly, and on a higher dose. It's very effective. We reduced the dose until she started being wet again and knew we'd lowered it too much so now we know exactly how much she needs for it to work. Goes on her food so easy to give her. I don't know anything about hormone tablets (was never given that option!) but have no complaints with the Propalin.
Will let you know the name of the tablets when I get them tomorrow... any advice on where to get the PS as I would prefer that.. but over here it is very expensive.. what dose do you give her as mine must be about the same weight... they are Mastin Espanol... or spanish mastiff as they are called in the UK..
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »