Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Worm within the dog's eye

Can anyone help? A friend has said he has spotted a worm IN his dogs eye. It is about 1/4 inch long. This dog was a stray in Turkey. Has any idea what it might be?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Poor dog. Can he take him to the vet?
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
She is a very, very nervous dog and will have to be sedated for a home visit.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I know cat's can be prone to eyeworms.

I'm no expert obviously but I've swiped this from the net....

Thelazia californiensis

The eyeworm, Thelazia californiensis, can infest cats, dogs, sheep, deer, and other mammals and cause a disease known as thelaziasis. This is not a common disease, but it does show that parasitic worms can wind up just about anywhere. Eyeworms live in the tear ducts, between the eye and the lids (conjunctival sac and under the third eyelid). They generally do not cause serious disease, but can be annoying, as you can imagine. Humans, in rare circumstances, can become infested. Eyeworms are most common on the Pacific Coast.
How do eyeworms reproduce and how are they spread?

The adult female worm lays her eggs in the tears. There they develop into larvae that are ingested by certain flies, such as the facefly. The larvae develop in the fly for about 30 days and then move to the mouth of the fly. When the fly feeds near the eye, the larvae move out of the fly’s mouth and migrate to the eye of the new host. In 3-6 weeks, the larvae develop into adults and repeat the cycle.

What are the signs of an infestation with Thelazia californiensis?

Generally, animals show few signs of the infestation. Because of the irritation to the eye, animals may produce more tears, may be sensitive to light, and occasionally develop conjunctivitis (inflammation of the mucous membranes of the lids). This can become more serious if a secondary bacterial infection develops.

Surveys in England and the United States have found that 28-38% of horses are infested with eyeworms.
The adult worms may be found in the conjunctival sac or tear ducts. The adults are thin worms, approximately ½ to ¾ inches long. The eggs or larvae can be seen when the tears or secretions are examined under the microscope.

What can we do to treat this condition?

Adult worms may be removed after applying a topical anesthetic to the eye. A dose of 1 mg/lb. of ivermectin given subcutaneously has been shown to cure infestations with similar nematodes in Asia and Europe.

How can thelaziasis be prevented?

Controlling the fly population would be a helpful method to reduce spread of this particular nematode.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Roundworm larvae? They can migrate but I think it is very rare. I would definately see a vet as worms in the eye can cause blindness.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 05:49 AM
Then sedation it must be....... your friends dog needs the vet's expertise in this matter.
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Ooh, sounds nasty, poor thing. Hope he gets it sorted soon.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 11:23 AM
SOunds disgusting and the vet is definately a must. It must be soooo uncomfortable!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Maggots? The dog will have to be sedated anyway to examine the eye so I`d get to the vet asap
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Off to the vets is my advice-with a word of caution has the dog any herding breeds in its make up ? Invermectin can cause severe & sometimes fatal reactions in herding breeds
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >