Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
design4yu
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2017, 09:52 PM

Aggressive puppy behavior towards Owners

Hello everyone! My family just adopted our first puppy, Luna, in early April from a shelter. (There are 5 family members: dad, mom, older sister, me, and younger sister)

Luna is a cattle dog/shepherd mix and is currently 8 months old. She's very friendly and has never snarled/snapped at anyone. However, over the past 4 days, she's gotten aggressive but only at night from 5pm til her bedtime at 11pm.

The first day, around 5 pm, Luna started snarling and snapping at my sister's boyfriend, whom she met the day before and was friendly towards him. After he left, Luna has lunged, snarled, growled and snapped at my 2 sisters. We placed Luna in her crate to take a nap thinking she was just over exhausted. When she woke up, she was back to her normal self.

The next day, Luna was fine until after dinner, she lunged, barked and snapped at my older sister. She was just standing in the kitchen talking to my mom. The day after, Luna barked and lunged at my older sister again when she was just walking by. Yesterday, Luna barked at my older sister, as now she is keeping her distance from Luna. Later yesterday night, my mom and I had come back from walking Luna. (Luna is not allowed on furniture.) Luna laid down at my feet but was tense and glaring at my mom, who was on her phone, on the other couch. I tried distracting Luna, but she wouldn't stop glaring or growling. When my mom started petting Luna later, she turned to snap at my mom.

She has not shown any aggression towards me or my dad (my younger sister has not been home this week). My dad and I are the main people who feed, train and walk her. I have been crating her for 5 minutes every time she snaps or lunges at someone as a time out. Luna has been taught basic commands which she still follows but its almost begrudgingly when she's in this mood, but she is treat motivated.

We have not changed her daily routine except that now we have been crating her for 1.5 hrs, 2 times a day as we have to leave the house. Luna is fine in her crate for about an hour every once in a while but could the increase in crate time be stressing her out and therefore, she is expressing her frustrations on the "weaker" family members? Please help with any tips or training advice for this behavior.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Have you changed her food or introduced new treats?

If not, a vet check may well be in order.

A sudden onset of a new behaviour can usually be put down to a change in routine or food, or may be the result of some pain or discomfort. Rule those out first because you cannot train out a medical problem
design4yu
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2017, 12:35 AM
Hello.

No we haven't changed or given her any new foods/treats.

She's fine until after we eat dinner, around 8pm, and then when my sister is anywhere near her, not even paying Luna attention, Luna will growl/bark.

It's like she doesn't want anyone near her at night. Could she be trying to assert dominance?

Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Have you changed her food or introduced new treats?

If not, a vet check may well be in order.

A sudden onset of a new behaviour can usually be put down to a change in routine or food, or may be the result of some pain or discomfort. Rule those out first because you cannot train out a medical problem
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Do you think this could be connected to the lighting level? It might be worth getting the vet to check her eyesight.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Agree a Vet check always in order where there is a change in behaviour

Is she spayed yet? Or had a season?
design4yu
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Hello, Luna was spayed when we adopted her 3 months ago. But yes, if she continues this aggression, we will plan a trip to the vet this weekend.

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Agree a Vet check always in order where there is a change in behaviour

Is she spayed yet? Or had a season?