View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Border Collies - any experienced owners?

We got a little pup at 5 weeks old to Foster. His dam was a Border Collie. He and our resident dog a little Breton got on so well we decided to keep him. He is now 14 weeks old.

Just curious if folk think he is full Border Collie or a Crossbreed. It matters not one iota - he is a super little pup and progressing really well.

brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Hard to tell with those pics. Had Border Collies for 30 years and each one has been different. He looks lovely though so just enjoy him. If you need any help just ask.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
We got a little pup at 5 weeks old to Foster. His dam was a Border Collie. He and our resident dog a little Breton got on so well we decided to keep him. He is now 14 weeks old.

Just curious if folk think he is full Border Collie or a Crossbreed. It matters not one iota - he is a super little pup and progressing really well.

Lovely fluffy pup......

Maybe a bit fluffy to be pure collie. But I'm not very knowledgable on that score.

I grew up on a farm in Scotland with lots of sheep so we had collies. They came in a variety - some had a short slightly coarse coat, others had longer slightly wavy hair, soft and silky soft.

The main thing, as Brenda said, is that you enjoy your pup. And give him plenty of exercise............
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Not to much exercise at this age outside of your house and garden. 5 minutes for each month of age until 9 months. You want him to grow properly. Brain work is best at a young age.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Not to much exercise at this age outside of your house and garden. 5 minutes for each month of age until 9 months. You want him to grow properly. Brain work is best at a young age.
Yep thats what I am doing. Had to do that with the Boxers - becomes a habit

He has been an easy pup so hope it continues x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Lovely fluffy pup......

Maybe a bit fluffy to be pure collie. But I'm not very knowledgable on that score.

I grew up on a farm in Scotland with lots of sheep so we had collies. They came in a variety - some had a short slightly coarse coat, others had longer slightly wavy hair, soft and silky soft.

The main thing, as Brenda said, is that you enjoy your pup. And give him plenty of exercise............
Funny i dont think he is fluffy at all except round the head
I found it interesting about the coat types. He is losing his puppy coat and the new coat coming through, i feel
is coarse. I suppose time will tell.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2017, 03:23 PM
It will probably become more obvious whether he is pure border collie or not when he is an adult. As you most likely know, collies do come in a wide variety of sizes, colours, coat types etc etc and so it entirely possible he is full collie.

As others have said, enjoy him. He is lovely.