Our sister sites
Wish
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Panting, Whining, Pacing, stretching

Hi

Can anyone help?

My bitch is at the end of her season for the past hour, Indie has been behaving very strangely Shes pacing up and down, whinning, panting and I know it sounds totally bizarre but stretching, shes also walking around in circles its like its obsessive with her, shes also been sick huh I know its very hot, but she has been kept as cool as possible all day, this is really strange behaviour

I have tried to settle her down but its not happening , she just jumps off my knee and starts the whole process again, any ideas??

I don't know what to do????
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Indies mum.. sorry misssed your post last night...will reply to it now...
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Indiesmum
My bitch is at the end of her season for the past hour, Indie has been behaving very strangely Shes pacing up and down, whinning, panting and I know it sounds totally bizarre but stretching, shes also walking around in circles its like its obsessive with her, shes also been sick huh I know its very hot, but she has been kept as cool as possible all day, this is really strange behaviour
I have tried to settle her down but its not happening , she just jumps off my knee and starts the whole process again, any ideas??
I don't know what to do????
Hi Indiesmum, how is your bitch this morning, is she still showing the same behaviour ? I would take her to the vet ASAP if she were mine , the symptoms you describe are frequently associated with pain...arching the back like stretching,vomiting,restless,panting,whining,pacin g, won't sit on your knee because she can't get comfortable .

She may have an infection of the uterus of some kind, although Pyometra normally comes later in the cycle the fact that your bitch has had a season means the passage to the uterus has been open and bacteria could have entered and caused an infection ...even if it is not the case I would get a vet to look at her, if there is no problem you waste a few pounds, better safe than sorry as they say..hope all is well..
Wish
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Thank you

Oh my god she was acting so strange last night, it took me until 3am to get her settled, she wasn't messing with her ears so wasn't that. She seems absolutely fine this morning thank goodness, I was getting very worried, she was relentless, its sounds bizarre but she continually paced up n down and then circled a small area over and over then she would outstrecth her front legs and back legs and start all over again, all the time panting and whining She hadn't been out in the sun during the day, only for her business in the garden, but the house was very hot as we are south facing

Anyway, I filled a water bottle with tepid water and sprayed her all over with it, then took her to our bed with the big fan on full blast (good job OH was on nightshift Wink) she still circled even on the bed, eventually she lay across my chest with her head on my shoulder and just stroked her chest and at 3am she fell asleep :smt049

I will be keeping a close eye on her today, anymore of that behaviour and I will be whisking her off to the vets I am a bit paranoid about Pyometra and that was going through my head, but also was thinking of the heat etc, I just wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks from a very tired Emma xx
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Emma glad things are better this morning , it sounds as if your bitch was in pain of some kind.

When there is any strange behaviour in a dog I always take it seriously and err on the side of caution if there is the slightest chance of a serious problem.

Maybe Indie ate somthing that gave her tummy ache and the vomiting relieved it /dogs often walk round and round/arch their backs prior to vomiting.

Hope you both have a better night tonight
Wish
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Just to update shes still fine

Just wanted to publicly say thank you very much Minihaha for your pm's and advice and support, you have been a star xxx
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi there

Great advice given by minihaha. Can I just add as well that these symptoms are also symptoms of bloat. If she is a breed that is susceptible to bloat, if the symptoms are not treated immediately this can very quickly become gastric torsion which almost always results in death.

One of my dogs is a breed that is susceptible to bloat and if she were behaving like this I would have her immediately to the vet, even in the middle of the night. I would take these symptoms very seriously.

I'm glad she is much better today but keep an eye out for discharge which may mean pyometra.

Kind regards
Annie
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
hi hope your dog is okay just wanted to add that stretching is a sign that is often associated with pancreatitis,if she continues to be sick i would take her to your vets,hope this helps
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
For what it's worth, our GSD Bitch is exhibiting very similar behaviour through the night at the moment and she did so a couple of weeks ago, when it was equally hot.

I've taken to leaving the back door open for her at the moment and I'm sleeping downstairs (there's dedication for ya) so she can venture out at will.

I've also filled a washing up bowl of cold water out there for her and she seems to enjoy dipping her head into it to cool off.
Wish
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Thank you everyone, still got a very close eye on her
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >