View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Is that price the frames though? My frames are £15 and I got my varifocals x 2 for less than this price!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post

shop around......you can get them cheaper!

we tell new varifocal wearers to ONLY wear them around the house for the first 2 weeks, not to attempt the stairs until your used to them, after that if you dont get on with them come back and we will exchange them.

varifocal contact lenses work on your pupil size and different manufacturers suit different people. thats why we do free trials until you find one which works for you.
Wow - I didnt know you could get varifocal contact lenses! Not, that i might add, i would/could wear them. I did ask an Optician once about contacts but they said my eyes probably wouldnt be suitable. I would be too squeamish nowadays to try contacts mrgreen:
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:13 AM
I have trialed soft vari-focals and not found them very succesful partly due to a certain amount of astigmatism and I know toric lenses correct this but I think my age and elasticity response of my eyes may have something to do with it. My optician allowed me to trial hard contact lenses at £200 a pair with intention to buy only if satisfied with them.Unfortunately I found that although the reading vision was exellent the distant vision was not.They where only small and I think the field of varying vision could well have been to narrow so I didn't continue with them at that price.Due to a sporting accident with my left eye that I recieved two years ago from a powerful shuttle cock strike.Who would have thought badminton a dangerous sport but I must admit it does depend on the power of your opponant.I have a repaired lazered retina and a pupil that doesn't reduce down as small as the right one because of a damaged muscle.For this reason I will be sticking to spectacles now. I did forget to mention my lenses are also reactor lights.
sw1
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2011, 02:47 PM
if you are still not comfortable with them go back to the optician.my last pair was just terrible and after about 3month could not get used to them.anyway in the end they said they had got the measurements Wong and had to remake them again free of charge
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by sw1 View Post
if you are still not comfortable with them go back to the optician.my last pair was just terrible and after about 3month could not get used to them.anyway in the end they said they had got the measurements Wong and had to remake them again free of charge
I'm not sure if your post is for me but it wasn't a measurement or comfort issue.I have worn single vision contact lenses for donkey's years both hard and soft lenses.Then as I got older I needed to to wear reading glasses over the single vision contact lenses to read.I thought it a good idea to try varifocals but I didn't think my distance vision ajusted good enough whilst driving with the varifocals so I stuck with single lense vision contact lenses for driving and general activity then put reading glasses on to read whilst wearing my contact lenses.It's only because of the eye injury that I no longer wear any contact lenses.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by sw1 View Post
If it was for me thanks, I've been quite worried about what to do next.
I have to admit that things are getting better except for walking around. They still make me feel very dizzy and unsteady.
I intend going back this week sometime.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
If it was for me thanks, I've been quite worried about what to do next.
I have to admit that things are getting better except for walking around. They still make me feel very dizzy and unsteady.
I intend going back this week sometime.
go back and make sure they check the prescription on your new ones against your old ones(even if the're single vision)
if there is a huge difference, up or down, it will affect your vision and you should ask for a re-check with the optician.
if there is huge difference its up to the opticians to rectify your glasses with either a new pair or single vision ones.

dont just chuck them in a draw.

mistakes do happen, unfortunatly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 09:33 PM
My first pair of varifocals were absolutely useless. Couldn't get used to them and they gave me a headache. I shoved 'em in a drawer to be honest because I just couldn't use them. Went to a different opticians 18 months later. Far more professional and the glasses are great. Took a couple of days to get used to and now I wouldn't be without them.

I've re-tried the first pair and now I know what to expect I can see that they got the lenses wrong. It's not the strengths, just where they change (hope that makes some sort of sense).

Take them back (wish I had) and tell them the problems you are having. Don't do what I did - such a terrible waste of money
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
My first pair of varifocals were absolutely useless. Couldn't get used to them and they gave me a headache. I shoved 'em in a drawer to be honest because I just couldn't use them. Went to a different opticians 18 months later. Far more professional and the glasses are great. Took a couple of days to get used to and now I wouldn't be without them.

I've re-tried the first pair and now I know what to expect I can see that they got the lenses wrong. It's not the strengths, just where they change (hope that makes some sort of sense).

Take them back (wish I had) and tell them the problems you are having. Don't do what I did - such a terrible waste of money
Actually now I come to think of something similar happened to me a lot of years ago. Not varifocals tho... I did take mine back and they argued black was blue and there was nothing wrong with them. I stood my ground and told them the glasses were useless. I just stood there and eventually they got the Optician out and purely to get rid of me [I think], they did take them back and I got a refund. I have never used that particular chain of popular Opticians again and never will, their attitude was not good
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Actually now I come to think of something similar happened to me a lot of years ago. Not varifocals tho... I did take mine back and they argued black was blue and there was nothing wrong with them. I stood my ground and told them the glasses were useless. I just stood there and eventually they got the Optician out and purely to get rid of me [I think], they did take them back and I got a refund. I have never used that particular chain of popular Opticians again and never will, their attitude was not good
In my case, I 'should've gone to' another opticians in the first place
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >