Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kperry75
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:52 PM

5 yr old Boxer with heart murmur

I took my Boxer, Harley, to the vet for his annual check-up. The vet detected that he has a heart murmur. When Harley was a puppy, a heart murmur was detected but disappeared until now.

Harley is 5.5 years old and full of energy. However that energy fades quickly. It takes him forever to cool off, he pants forever. Harley has also dropped 7lbs in 1 year. The doctor said the heart murmur could be to blame for these symptoms.

I'm so in love with my dog that I cannot bare the thought of anything happening to him. He's like a second child to me. The vet wants to start with a chest x-ray to see why the murmur is there.

Ugggg...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I`m sorry you found this..

Sadly Boxers are prone to murmurs .

Did your vet give you an inclination as to the scale of the murmur.

They will be graded on a scale of 0 to 6 0 and 1 being classed a clear, then depending on the severity of the murmur the number will rise.

Not sure why the vet wants to x ray... this wont show the severity of the murmur...what he should be doing is making an appointment with a Cardiologist for Harley to be tested for AS
http://www.steynmere.com/AORTIC_STENOSIS1.html

Dont despair, many Boxers live long and happy lives with minor heart murmurs..

Something else you need to be aware on is ..Cardiomyopathy
http://www.geocities.com/apexboxers/boxerheart.html

Have a good read of these sites, will help you understand

Also get in touch with e Boxer Breed Council, they will be able to tell you where there may be some heart scoring going on.

Through out the yr they supplement the scheme at Boxer shows , where Cardiologist will test any dog on the day..for a much reduced price , thanyou will pay seeing one privately
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I would get him formally graded first before subjecting him to an x-ray which may require a GA. I would also ask for a blood test first and foremost to eliminate other possible reasons for his fading energy and weight loss (although 7lbs isn't too bad unless he is underweight already) How much does he weigh?