Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 11:52 AM

urgent help needed!! hacked?

recieved this email today off paypal - ive never missed a payment - always money in my account (this is through ebay btw - the only time i use my account....)

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in thePayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issueregarding your account

For your protection, we have limited access to your account untiladditional security measures can be completed. We apologize for anyinconvenience this may cause. To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPalused to make its decision to limit your account access.

then it gives me a link saying : to update your billing records *link*

If, after reviewing your account information, youseek further clarification regarding your account access, pleasecontact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us". We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Pleaseunderstand that this is a security measure intended to help protectyou and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience. Sincerely,PayPal Account Review Department

like i said theres money in the account (ok overdraft - but its there!!)

help??

ETA - - just clikced the link and my internet wont elt me on it as its classed as 'suspicious'!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Suze,

Is the e-mail addressed to you personally or to 'Dear Paypal Customer'. If it is not addressed to you chances are it is a scam. If you click on the link they give look carefully at the address it opens, is it paypal or something else? I got something similar and they wanted to give them my card details and pin number to check they had the right details.!!I just reported it to paypal.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
It could just be one of those spam emails. Does the email have your name ie Dear Miss/Mrs or just Dear member?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
directly to my email address

i never sign in off links anyhow tbh - i normally go onto paypla

i thought paypal was .com - - this is .co.uk (or does tha mean nothing? lol)

also it gives me and ID number
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
If it has a link in it, hold your mouse over it and look at the address it would send you to - it probably doesn't start with www.paypal.com, so is a scam.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I think spammers just spam random e-mail address and they are bound to find someone who uses paypal. How does the e-mail start though?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
It won't be from paypal Bin it I get them by the 100. Paypal will always address you by name & there will be a message in your e bay account messages if it is genuine
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Sounds like a span, it will want you to click the link and imput all your details and then whoever sent the email will have them to, its called phishing.

If in doubt go to the paypal website, BUT NOT VIA THE LINK in the email and check there, also get the phone number and give them a call. I have had many an email like this and all are fake.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
If it has a link in it, hold your mouse over it and look at the address it would send you to - it probably doesn't start with www.paypal.com, so is a scam.

yep - dosent direct me rto paypal.com - - when i clicked it my internet marked it as unsafe...

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I think spammers just spam random e-mail address and they are bound to find someone who uses paypal. How does the e-mail start though?
first post

starts with

dear *insert my email addy*

then what i copyied...
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
All about phishing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >