View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Rocky is shredding an Extreme Kong ! What can I give him to chew on safely ?

Hiya,

My black lab Rocky is currently lying in the hallway shredding an Extreme Kong (a black one) by pulling little pieces off and spitting them onto the floor . I would love to find something safe that he can chew on and not destroy/eat - any suggestions welcome !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 01:17 PM
What about a tug-a-jug? It's made of very strong plastic in the shape of a bottle, with a rubber bit on the end and the rope that goes in and out to get the treats out? I think they're pretty indestructable and could keep him occupied (or frustrated!) for hours!

Pets at Home do them now, but I bought mine online.
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Know how you feel I have a terrier that can destroy most toys in 10 mins.

I find rope toys good and last at least a day providing the are thick (for really big dogs) but a bit boring.
Also the wooba Kong only lasted 2 hours in total but the soft plactic ball form inside is still going 7 months on!!!

Just ordered JW Pet Dog Toy Holee Roller from pet supermarket hope it lasts!

Good luck in your search for the best dog toy - i think it's never ending
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 02:14 PM
or you could give up on toys and just give him bones and chews instead. If he can kill a black kong - no toy is safe!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
What about a tug-a-jug? It's made of very strong plastic in the shape of a bottle, with a rubber bit on the end and the rope that goes in and out to get the treats out? I think they're pretty indestructable and could keep him occupied (or frustrated!) for hours!

Pets at Home do them now, but I bought mine online.
I would second the tug-a-jug

It has kept 2 large Boxers occupied for 2 weeks now. Minimal scratching on the plastic and fraying on the rope, and it gets thrown around (onto wooden floors, tiled floors and stone floors) like there is no tomorrow.

Max currently sleeps on top of it I think he thinks Murphy will work out how to open it!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Well my butcher sells marrow bones at 50p each, and cuts them ih half of you want. This has to be the best, I`d have thought.
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I would second the tug-a-jug

It has kept 2 large Boxers occupied for 2 weeks now. Minimal scratching on the plastic and fraying on the rope, and it gets thrown around (onto wooden floors, tiled floors and stone floors) like there is no tomorrow.

Max currently sleeps on top of it I think he thinks Murphy will work out how to open it!!
I don't know about the tug-a-jug for chewers but it definately keeps my pup amused! Start off with small treats easy to get out (kibble) and move up to bigger treats as they get the hang of it! I got mine in Pets at Home! U can even play tug-of-war with them!
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Large Babble Ball from PAH. My dog destroyed a Black Kong but he has had this since christmas and its still intact. Thats a record for him and he loves it because it talks to him
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 04:45 PM
my lot get a butchers bone or a car tyre, {not steal radial ones though}

there fav is the old tyres off the quade bike at the moment,

but be careful if giving tyres, you dont want your dog chasing cars or bikes down the road,

anything else I give my lot is gone in seconds, even heavy duty stuff.