Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:35 PM

External hard drive

Well I have brought myself today an external hard drive for the computer to back up my files....pictures etc, so wish me luck.
Its a 1tb that approx 1000GB of memory..... ... so loads of room.
Will report back on my progress.....should be plug and play. so it says on the box.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:37 PM
good luck, its the best bit of kit ive ever bought
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Wow that was remarkably easy I have plugged in and it worked straight away looking at it I have gone a bit OTT in the size thing I think. All my pictures (everything) have been stored on the external hardrive and all my documents, including the CP stuff and I still have 925GB of sace left...That is scary could have had to 250GB opne easily.

I would highly reccomend this as a "first aid tool" especialy as my BIL lost all his files when his went wrong the week before Christmas. And a few other friends have lost info similar ways so I have been proactive and backed up first. Really really easy opened box. Plugged into power point and then connected USB from hard drive to computer hey presto it connected itself. Excellent.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:58 PM
we have one too sadly it now full so I have to buy another one as it was a few years old and quite small.
so we have opposite problem to you !!!

but definetly recommend one as we also lost loads of files last year when our laptop died - we did manage to retreive it with the help of a computer person but it cost us £80 !! a hard drive would have been cheaper !!!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Kazz....do you mind if I ask where you got it and how much??

I as planning on buying one now that I have the DSLR..
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Mine was £75 from Argos and got a free 4BG flashpen too. Its a Seagate External drive I got it on reccomendation from people I know and the reviews on the argos site. Brought it at 15.58 and had it home, installed and running with all my files stored by 17.15...not bad for a computer usless person. And had dinner between that too turkey and chips.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2009, 11:07 AM
That’s great Kazz they are easy to install and use but this external hdd like all other hdd can fail as they are the same as if it was in your PC/ Laptop granted it would properly be used less as it only get powered when you need to store info onto it unlike your PC/ Laptop.

So if any one is thinking of getting rid of an old PC/ Laptop take out the hdd buy a caddy and turn it into an external hdd of course you have to what type of hdd you have before you can buy the correct caddy.

Laptop Hard drive Caddy

Full size PC Hard drive caddy
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I got a Seagate hard drive from my grandparents for Christmas as that's what I told them I wanted when they asked me.

Like you, it's to back up all the important stuff from the laptop.

Glad you're pleased with yours.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I bought one about 3 years ago in Germany, on the recommendation of my German friend.
I wouldn't be without it now, it gives me great peace of mind knowing things are safe
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-12-2009, 02:53 PM
That's the backup strategy I use. Drag 'n' drop onto an external drive! They're great!