Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:10 PM

pros and cons of your breed

I had a terrible walk with my two this morning. They were soooo naughty it took my 20 minutes to get the b*ggers back on the lead! Although they are not usually that bad, poor recall is a breed trait in Estrelas, and due to their independent nature they can be hard to train (although there are individuals who compete successfully in obedience and working trials). I have to say that on days like this I sometimes wish they were more obedient. On the other hand though they are very laid back, gentle and quiet at home. What are the pros and cons of your breed when it comes to behaviour?

For me the pros are: laid back, alert and watchful, protective.

Cons: dodgy recall, occassionaly 'too guardy'.

anyone else?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:19 PM
German Shepherds:
Pro: they are intelligent and adore their mummy
Cons: they are intelligent and adore their mummy
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Boxers...

Cons!! boisterous /never grow up/ have boundless energy/ recall can be a challenge / some can be dog aggressive/

Pros... loving/ loving /loving/ make you smile/ generally clean around the house...oh and not forgetting LOVING!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:25 PM
for me rotties are the perfect breed,

I love there goofy attitude {vinnie}lol

they are easy to train, easy to live with, cool, calm, confident,
I love everything about them,

the only con is the way the GP feel about them sometimes.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Can't get my head round laid back and alert as well?

For my little springer pros are that she is fun and happy and bright and clever and cuddly.

No cons!

rune (totally besotted)
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Ivan

Pros: The most handsome dog I have ever seen (biased). Extremely affectionate and loving. So laid back around the house. A total clown. Love all the attention he attracts.

Cons: Forget being houseproud. Hair everywhere. Water everywhere.
Overfriendly with other dogs to the point of obsessive as a result can never be let off lead around other dogs as he would never come back.
Would go home with anyone that had another dog.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Boxers...

Cons!! boisterous /never grow up/ have boundless energy/ recall can be a challenge / some can be dog aggressive/

Pros... loving/ loving /loving/ make you smile/ generally clean around the house...oh and not forgetting LOVING!!!
Seconded
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd pretty much agree with jackboxs post about boxers.

For me it would be:

Pros - good natured, full of character, always make me smile, very loving, intelligent and funny.

Cons - the slobber, the fact they are very strong willed or monty is at least, the fact that some people assume that because they're called boxers they are nasty and like to fight, and also their clumsiness!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Can't get my head round laid back and alert as well?

For my little springer pros are that she is fun and happy and bright and clever and cuddly.

No cons!

rune (totally besotted)
You'll never go back now

for me

Pro's as above

Cons - can be stubborn and too clever for their own good, get a hunter and recall can be a problem, not known for walking nicely on a lead
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh la...

Labs:

Pros: Confident, outgoing, sure of themselves, active without being over active, very intelligent and trainable, gentle (when mature!), great with all manner of people and dogs, goofy, quiet, willing to please and egar.

Cons: Destructive and bitey as pups, recall training can be a pain in the backside due to their friendly nature, can be over boisterous and strong willed, obsessed with food and eating nasties, shed like mad, love getting messy.

As for Yorkies and Slovaks, I have only had one of each so I can't really speak for the whole breed. Buuut speaking of mine as individuals...

Yorkie:

Pros: Super people oriented, love to be held and have cuddles, excellent at snuggling, very trainable and intelligent little dogs, super watch dogs, love to play, great recall; more interested in people than other dogs, will take as much or as little exercise as they get.

Cons: Can be a little too vocal at times, greedy little beggars - for people food!, difficult to house train.

Slovak:

Pros: So beautiful (yes, I'm biased!), athletic, intelligent, thrive on human company, excellent with people and other dogs, gentle with children, easy to train (with food...), loyal, great natural recall.

Cons: Vocal; they have one LOUD bark that they ain't afraid to use, insanely high energy and absolutely tireless, stubborn as a mule, prone to separation problems, highly strung, 'busy' that spend far more time awake then they do asleep!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »