Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
If you read the rest of my post I explain why some of the larger rescues have set policies.
I've read it already.

Set policies or not, it's still an appauling way to treat a person trying to rehome a needy dog.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I've read it already.

Set policies or not, it's still an appauling way to treat a person trying to rehome a needy dog.
Then start a thread about it as this is going off topic
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Then start a thread about it instead of going off topic
Been there, done that.

And for the record I'd already appologised for going off topic.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:47 AM
[QUOTE=AnneUK;1032764]Could breeders not adopt puppies out instead of selling them? ensuring the adoption contract includes the above. Instead of using endorsements which don't really work they could ask for proof from their vet that this has been done, those that show their dogs could be exempted providing they had proof.

I am not a breeder so I cannot answer that question,but people are not infallable and reputable breeders do sometimes get it wrong when chosing owners for the pups, but on the other hand so do reputable rescues.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Breeders should do checks, yes...perhaps even down to doing a CRB check??
I agree with Nursey though, I don't think home visits are necessarily feasible and whilst a network of breeders checking out other people for other breeders is a nice idea, I'm not sure it would work.
Yes, a breeder has a lot of responsibility on their shoulders, trying to ensure their pups go to 'good' homes, but whilst they can tell people the ins and outs of the breed and try to ensure they understand...hmmm...thats hard to do. How many people would become like nodding dogs and tune them out? Ultimately whilst breeders have responsibility, so do new owners. I personally think breeding should have stricter controls in place and so should dog ownership.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:48 AM
The Homechecking thing with breeders has already been tried, I signed up for it but have never been asked to homecheck on behalf of someone else, I would have been more than happy to, still am!
Becky
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Thats my point hun, too many breeders dont simply bother to make sure that the homes their pups are going to are suitable for the pup including a new owners previous experience or Breed research if a first time owner
I wish I had a pound for all the times I`ve heard people say BCs are pretty much `born ready trained`

READY TRAINED, ha I find they are one of the hardest dogs to train, they are so ...................... give me rotts any day, but I do agree with patch on this one, to many folk buy a collie thinking its far easyer to handle and work with,,,,,so not true,
:smt075

I do believe its a breeders responsibility to make sure buyers really know what they are taking on [ any breed ], and what to expect at the various stages of growth and learning - so many being dumped in rescue as `hyperactive boistrous hard to handle juvenile dogs roughly between the ages of 8 to 12 months on average because far too many people only see the cute little bundle without a thought to getting beyond the baby puppy stage, and too few breeders make sure buyers go in to it with eyes wide open

Again poss the breeders could be more active after the sale, this thread is focused on pre-sale checks, but I find with my pups most of my attention is given after the pup is at its new home, Im not saying I dont do checks of course I do, but I also offer life long training and advice to anyone with one of my pups, I sleep better at night knowing they are happy healthy good natured pups who can be out in public and conduct themselfs well, more than can be said for the breeder eh
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
but people are not infallable and reputable breeders do sometimes get it wrong when chosing owners for the pups, but on the other hand so do reputable rescues.
Of course we all make mistakes, but do you not think breeders should do everything in their power to ensure their pups are going to life time homes, not just by doing thorough interviews but also carrying out before an after home checks. Could breeders not help reduce the overwhelming unwanted dog problem by making sure the pups they rehome are neutered.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I also offer life long training and advice to anyone with one of my pups, I sleep better at night knowing they are happy healthy good natured pups who can be out in public and conduct themselfs well
That's great
do you not think that's only part of it though?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Of course we all make mistakes, but do you not think breeders should do everything in their power to ensure their pups are going to life time homes, not just by doing thorough interviews but also carrying out before an after home checks. Could breeders not help reduce the overwhelming unwanted dog problem by making sure the pups they rehome are neutered.
Alot of Breeders do everything in their power to ensure life long homes,
Personally I think alot of dogs that go through into rescue,do so through irresponsible backyard breeding.
As for neutering that comes down to personal choice,it's not good reputable breeders that add to the unwanted dog problem,as they are prepared to take back a dog at any time during it's lifetime.
We have bred a few litters and I know where all mine are,out of all of them,none have gone into rescue,I would be horrified if they had,and only one came back to us.
He was rehomed to a close family friend and yes he was entire,with no medical reason to castrate.
Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »