View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:04 PM

Don't stand near a cliff if you feel queer!

Exactly 5 weeks ago, Polo had a major seizure right in front of me when I went to collect him from the kennels, where he and Deccy spent their day while I am at work. After treatment for a week, he was back to his old self so I eased down on the PB, eventually dispensed with it altogether. We went on holiday and he enjoyed himself.
Today, the kennel owner had to go out for the morning and left someone else in charge. When she got back, Polo was nowhere to be found. (My 2 are loose most of the day, the place is very secure). By 5pm she still hadn't found him and rang me to tell me the news. I raced over there and put Deccy in the car, but he started howling so I let him out and he led us to the back field and we trekked over the 40 acres, calling him, no sound. Then we tried the other side of the hill - practically a cliff full of trees, rocks and brambles - and eventually found Polo, a sorry sight indeed, down at the bottom in some undergrowth, by the side of the lake. It was difficult even getting to him. He was on his feet but could hardly walk, he was yelping and arching his back. There was a bad graze on his stifle and various patches of dried blood. We got him back and I took him straight to the vet.
He has lost some front teeth, chipped others, his lower lip is swollen, there are countless cuts and contusions but his heart and breathing are fine. It turns out that he had another fit completely out of the blue, lurched onto his chin knocking out his preening teeth, then toppled over and travelled down the cliff bouncing off whatever was in the way. Luckily, being relaxed and a bit overweight, he bounced off most things. He must have lain there for hours without anyone finding him good job the weather's been fine and warm today.
Pumped with Metacam and antibiotics, he's asleep now having eaten some tinned meat (nice and soft) so we'll see how he is in the morning.....
Back on the PB for life now - and he will be restricted to the kennel garden for his exercise.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh no poor Polo. It must of been horrible for him. At least he isnt to badly hurt as it could of been alot worse
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Oh poor Polo, what a terrible thing to happen.

Hope he recovers from the fall quickly, and the medication control his seizures, poor chap. xx
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Poor Polo and poor you!! You must have been frantic!!
I hope he recovers well! Keep us up to date!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Awww...bless his heart. So glad you found him and he is at home recovering.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2006, 08:59 PM
WHAT A DAY.....
i know hes battered but at least his in 1 piece like you said it could have been worse, poor lads going through the mill with 1 thing and another.
give him a cuddle in a spot that doesn't hurt him and get a stiff drink for yourself.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Poor Polo hoping he makes a quick recovery
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 09:02 PM
well done to deccy sounds like he could of saved him life, extra treats i think.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Deccy could have led rescuers to Polo sooner, if he hadn't been more interested in playing with the kennel dogs!
He was worried though, by the time I arrived, and got his head together fortunately. He sniffed the ground and took us straight to the spot.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 09:46 PM
clever Deccy and poor polo.
So glad you found him and that is is at home in the warm recovering.
Sending big hugs to you and polo and a cyber doggy treat for deccy and massive good boy tickle!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >