Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Bones - which kind to feed?

I want to give my Whippet cross bones to keep her occupied when I'm out. Toys don't seem to interest her (Though I'm getting some peanut butter to add to her kong soon.)

Anyway. I know not to cook bones incase they splinter. What kind of bones are best to give? I had heard you are best to avoid beef, is this true?

Thanks for any help. :smt001
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I feed chicken wings/necks and lamb ribs.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND leaving your dog unattended with bones.
Use your kong, fill it with liver patty or corned beef and freeze it, should keep him occupied!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Some dogs may have an allergy/be intolerant of beef. Unless you know this is the case then you can feed raw bones from any species.

If you want a recreational bone then the big meaty thigh marrow bones from cattle are good. If you want consumable bones as part of a raw diet then chicken frames, beef ribs, lamb flaps, venison ribs, whole rabbits, etc. will serve the purpose
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:53 AM
oh yeah, I get whole skinned rabbits from the butchers too, dogs devour them, has the kidneys/liver/ heart still in there too, which is brilliant. I get them to chop he head off though, as I don't want to have to think about the poor thing being alive once.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 02:43 PM
My sister asked in Sainsburys at the butcher dept for a bone. They said they re no longer allowed to give them out; that the only place you can now get them is at an abatuare (spl?). Why is this - due to mad coe disease or foot & mouth? (I'm guessing)

Where do you go to get your bones?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 07:59 PM
ok, the best bone for chewing to pass time, clean teeth, not as part of the diet = recreation, would be a big cow leg bone (or animal similar) and I prefer both knuckles to be left on for my dogs, I let the dogs wear these down then get rid of the bones not to much longer after that. I don't like the sawn off end ones because I think it is more likely for a dog to break it's teeth on the sawn off edges.

Lots of places wont give out bones but you can still find butchers that do. Even if you have to tell them you are using it for stock or something
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info.
But do you know why they are no longer allowed to give out bones?
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Not sure why sainsbury's won't give you bones but like myschievous said there are usually butchers who will. They have to pay to get rid of the bones so they'll gladly give some to you if they've got them. Our butcher told us that he buys most of his meat already filleted so that he doesn't have too many to get rid of.
madhouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Morrisons have bones - I paid 62p for 2 kilos of mixed bones
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >