Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Daily Thread Wednesday 24th January

Good morning everyone

Pleased your e-mail got a response Lynn hopefully everything will now get put into place.

Nice to see your Gordon but sorry to ready about your friend.

Brightening up now after early drizzle. Nothing much planed. Off to the tip this afternoon with a load of cardboard boxes he has managed to accumulate in the garage - as they might come in handy then to a garden centre to pick up an order and a quick look round. Have £6 in vouchers to spend so might as well use them

Hope all two and four legged are keeping well

Have a good day and stay safe.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-01-2018, 01:13 PM
'afternoon Sue

Greetings to you and all who follow.

Has been very windy here, a few loose fence panels went walk-about (I was keeping them as 'reserves' in case the main fence blew down)

This brought a smile to my face:-
"he has managed to accumulate in the garage - as they might come in handy"

I keep cardboard boxes for the same reason but some of them were outside and got soaked in recent rain so now I can't even put them in the re-cycling bin because I think I read somewhere the cardboard must be dry

Does anyone know, will the council accept wet disintegrated cardboard

I'm all for re-cycling but I don't have the time to wade through pages of council website bumph, or try to phone them since it's such a hassle phoning any organisation these days.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Afternoon Sue and Harvey and all who follow.

Strong winds here to Harvey luckily the fence panels stayed put today. We did nearly get knocked off our feet on our stroll earlier though.

Cannot see why you cannot recycle the wet cardboard we have taken plenty that has been lying around in all weathers to the tip or put it in the bin and not had a problem.

Decided to email the MP again today just to check that when his secretary rings Peter at the end of the week if no dates have been set for works to be carried out they will be chasing the council for dates for work to be started. They were both very despondent again by the end of the day.
If not paper the next step. Local gazette.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Cannot see why you cannot recycle the wet cardboard we have taken plenty that has been lying around in all weathers to the tip or put it in the bin and not had a problem.
Yes, that is a puzzler. .....
I've been to lots of paper mills- newsprint, tissue, kraft.......
The process is broadly similar for the different grades. Waste paper or card is made into a pulp of cellulose fibre. Then it is mixed with water - yes water. Lots of it. The mixture, called stock or stuff, has roughly just 2% fibre, the rest is water. That gets squirted on to what like a conveyor belt that looks like a brass strainer. It's called the couch or sometimes "the wire" section. On the underside of the wire are vacuum boxes to draw off a lot of the water. By the time the concoction gets to the end of the travel of the wire it has formed a sheet strong enough to support itself to go into the next section.

The rest of the process is about getting the sheet dry and winding it into a big roll (several tonnes) of the finished product we know as paper. Given the huge volume of water used in the process I find it astounding that anyone would reject cardboard because it was wet.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Yes they will take it because if it is large and propped behind the bin and it rains and gets wet they will still take it away. At least they have for me. If in doubt put the cardboard inbetween the bins and the bin men will then decide what to do with it. If in doubt and you can catch them before they go ask them. They don't mind being asked.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Lynn, Besoeker, Brenda

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom I don't know where I get these weird ideas from sometimes SWMBO says I just 'make it up' anyway four quite large and very wet cardboard boxes going in the blue bin tomorrow.

Yes Brenda I would ask the men on the lorry except that round here they are usually done and gone between 07:00 and 07:30 (Never latter than 8am) too early for me
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-01-2018, 05:26 PM
They were both very despondent again by the end of the day.
It must be hard for them. But I really would like to think that now the local MP is involved in some way things will start to happen.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Here if it isn't in a bin and you have not made arrangements with the council to collect out of the bin they will not take it, you have to have it in the bin.

Emailed the MP again she assures me they he is working on Gill's behalf and if there is anything else I can think of they need to get in touch. I got warmest wishes at the end of the email.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-01-2018, 09:35 PM
I got warmest wishes at the end of the email.
Well she must be thinking he will get a result, keeping all fingers crossed here
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Evening everyone
Losos I’ve put wet cardboard in our black bin and haven’t had a problem.
Lynn hopefully now mp is involved the council will get a shift on. Glad they responded quickly to you
Griff I love Primark
LG so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, great to have so many memories
Sue hope you had a good trip to the garden centre
Kazz hope you are ok
Hi to Besoeker & Brenda

Been to work, was there really early start and it was so windy I think I got blown there. Lol
Got home & put clean bedding on the bed & we put the new lampshade up. It was £12.99 from Argos, but I had a £5 voucher & my discount too so only cost £6.69 bargain
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	324E9BD1-3B02-42EC-8FB5-543E950BAE00.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	5872  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >