Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-11-2012, 11:31 PM

What a lovely but cold night out there.

As I have mentioned before I'm a late night walker and we've just come back from a beautiful walk, the crisp clear air and full moon meant I only needed a torch while walking the wooded part of my walk.

Its -2 here and the ground was crunchy under foot apart from those areas which have been heavily waterlogged by the recent heavy rains.

When we left the house Rosie was rooted to the spot for a couple of moments as clearly the cold pavement under paw was a bit of a shock but she was soon off and about.

As this is my 1st winter as a dog owner I wonder if I should be investing is some kind of coat to keep her warm (or rather my wife is saying poor girl you should get her a coat to keep her warm) and whether I should be mindful of the cold and cut our usual walks short if its too cold and exactly what would too cold be?

Over the last few winters we have had a few nights drop down below -6 (and even a couple in double figures) but usually the coldest it gets is -4.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Is she enjoying it?

My lad loves the cold weather - but then he has a long coat. Is your girl shivering and uncomfortable or happy as Larry?

ETA It wouldn't hurt if you wanted to get her a coat - it really is cold at the moment.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Rather you than me Nic - I hate the cold, and was always in and out as quick as possible

I probably don't need to say this, but just be mindful of frozen rivers, if a dog falls in they can find it very difficult to get back out.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Nic I too have been for a late night walk , I always go whatever the weather . It was beautiful tonight with a bright moon.

I am not a great fan of dog coats from a fashion perspective but I think they have a place for smooth coated dogs in very cold weather . Because our houses are so well heated the contrast when going out in the cold must be very noticeable for our dogs .

Chloe has a couple of fleecy things for when it is very cold, being short legged they also prevent the snow balls forming on her tummy.

I think Rosie may like a warm coat for the very cold weather .
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Well she did love it darting all over the place and I was looking out for her shivering but there was no sign. I think I will get her something, maybe something with a hi-viz band on it. At least then I won't look like I'm walking princess pooch.

Azz, I was toasty warm with my layers a hat and hood really there is no such thing as too cold in this country, just the wrong clothes. Now in the summer there is such a thing as too hot as there are only so many layers you can remove!

Good point about the rivers but thankfully I'm on a hill so no risk on my day to day walks. She does love jumping into water though so I'll be mindful of that if we take her anywhere where there is likely to be frozen water over the winter.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Post some pictures for us?
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Me dressed up like an Arctic explorer or her in a parka?
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:02 AM
A fleece lined hi-vis sounds ideal for your night walks.
I've seen people walk in hi-vis gear themselves but their dogs have nothing more than perhaps a reflective collar. I always wondered about that, as if I felt the need to wear hi-vis myself as a safety precaution I'd be just as inclined to make my dog more visible too.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 05:46 AM
Our walks are in the early hours, still in darkness..No need on the private lane for high vis stuff thankfully and I am wary over the bridge as there are only railings.. when I can afford it will get chicken wire and block it off.... the river flows too fast to freese...collie is fine and never thought if a coat even for wee dog
Tradition here is for working dogs to sleep outside, usually chained up...
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Pep_Sounds View Post
A fleece lined hi-vis sounds ideal for your night walks.
I've seen people walk in hi-vis gear themselves but their dogs have nothing more than perhaps a reflective collar. I always wondered about that, as if I felt the need to wear hi-vis myself as a safety precaution I'd be just as inclined to make my dog more visible too.
Riley has a hi-vis bandanna and hi-vis ankle bracelets. They are very daper and he does a little strut with them on!

I always forget to put the hi-vis stripes on my own jacket - doh!

Tis very cold this morning as well, I also felt extremely sorry for Riley when his paws first touched the ground this morning, but few throws of the ball and he soon warmed up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >