Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Mange?

Cain has a patch come up the front if his leg. It was a very small patch which came up while I was away. When I got back it was quite big, apparently it grew very quickly. Now he has a random patch on the back of his leg too. The one on the back I thought was a wound as there was a little blood. Now there's no blood but the middle is white. It's very dark red. I thought it might be a lick granuloma but now thinking it could be mange.

I had been wrapping it in bandages, anti lick strips and spraying with bitterbite. The front wound was less red when doing this, but since the back one appeared, it's really been bugging him. But today he ripped his bandage right off while we were out. Annoying as he'd had a long walk, was left for only two hours with a frozen Kong but he shredded it and licked it to bits

I called the vet and I've sent her photos. She said it might need a steroid cream or antibiotics. She said it could be mange so I am going to treat him with Advocate tonight. I've also ordered him a Comfy Cone by special delivery. Why does he always do something over holiday periods when the vets will be closing? Grrrrr.

Any ideas? Sorry for the terrible photos, my camera is broken, had to take these on my phone.

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Ouch, that looks nasty -- poor Cain.

I guess the first thought when you see that type of lesion is a hot spot, but I've never seen one come up in three places.

When are you going to the vets?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm no expert but I don't think it looks like mange. Loui has had bits like that when he has licked or nibbled at the same patch too much.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Infact that bottom one looks really similar to bits that he has had. With him it starts with the licking and goes on to cysts, so it must be sore/itchy but the cysts hasnt formed yet. I'm NOT saying thats why Cain is licking/picking at it, just that it looks like it.

Does he bother the areas? Could it be a skin irritation or a reaction to something and he has been licking it? or could it have been a little stress, knowing somethings up and then you on holiday?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Ouch, that looks nasty -- poor Cain.

I guess the first thought when you see that type of lesion is a hot spot, but I've never seen one come up in three places.

When are you going to the vets?
It's only come up in two places. The one on the back of his leg is the newest and bothering him the most. Cain is special and doesn't "go" to the vet unless necessary because no one can get near him, they don't like to stress him and can see more from photos anyway. Vet is looking the photos tomorrow and will see what she thinks. If she can't do it like that, then he'll have to go in, but no appointment at the moment. Hopefully picking up cream or pills tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Infact that bottom one looks really similar to bits that he has had. With him it starts with the licking and goes on to cysts, so it must be sore/itchy but the cysts hasnt formed yet. I'm NOT saying thats why Cain is licking/picking at it, just that it looks like it.

Does he bother the areas? Could it be a skin irritation or a reaction to something and he has been licking it? or could it have been a little stress, knowing somethings up and then you on holiday?
Yes, he licks it a lot of he manages to get at it, and has been licking it while we were out when he got the bandage off I definately think he's irritated it. The first one could be because I was away, but the second one has come up in the last two days since I've been back.

I'm going to Advocate him anyway.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
It's only come up in two places. The one on the back of his leg is the newest and bothering him the most. Cain is special and doesn't "go" to the vet unless necessary because no one can get near him, they don't like to stress him and can see more from photos anyway. Vet is looking the photos tomorrow and will see what she thinks. If she can't do it like that, then he'll have to go in, but no appointment at the moment. Hopefully picking up cream or pills tomorrow.

Yes, he licks it a lot of he manages to get at it, and has been licking it while we were out when he got the bandage off I definately think he's irritated it. The first one could be because I was away, but the second one has come up in the last two days since I've been back.

I'm going to Advocate him anyway.
I don't know if this is the same but when Loui licks, its almost the habit itself that causes more...so if he has one bit that he has done (i.e. the bit when you were away) then he is almost guaranteed to start on another bit. He gets a little obsessive compulsive about it...maybe he has done that? I'd say its worth using the Advocate anyway.

In the past Loui has had a steroid cream to repair the damage he done and an anti-biotic to stop any infection starting up.

When people hurt themselves endorphins are released, maybe if this happens in dogs its why they repeat...idk. Loui can be a little pain, if he thinks you will see him and tell him to leave he goes behind the couch to do it...or he will leave it until you have been out and come home and find a patch....it is usually sparked off by his itchy skin (food intolerance) though, but they can do this through stress so it might just be a cycle he has started. Don't suppose you know until the vet gets back to you.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:48 PM
In the top photo one of them has a white patch, is this like a little blister? puss? or is it just wet skin from licking?
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Definitely doesn't look like mange to me.....

Maybe he had some kind of spot, and it's bothering him xx
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Are there any broken hairs in the patches? It looks a bit like ringworm, which is always circular like that (no sweat Sherlock! ), often with a slightly raised red rim and there may be broken hairs within. It does itch so that can make a dog worry it a bit.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I can't see any broken hairs, it looks fairly bald, but he's fidgety and it's hard to see. It's really irritating him tonight, he's quite restless and finding it hard to resist nagging it. Hopefully the vet can diagnose it tomorrow and prescribe something to help.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »