register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 9 of 92 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Well I wouldn't call a snap a bite, infact it usually falls short of actual contact. No dog should bite for no reason but the vast majority of bites are for a reason.
You are suggesting that a dog is not allowed to react at all.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Depends if it`s an air-snap as a warning or an intended bite IMO. A growl, lunge, snap - not making contact - are warnings surely? My ancient pointer snaps occasionally if I try to move him (he has a habit of sleeping on the front doormat) but he never comes near me. Since he became deaf he doesn`t growl.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Sorry Mahooli, I didn't mean to give that impression !! My dogs are not robots, they are allowed to be dogs !!

But to snap or bite? No, never ! Actually, I tell a lie, I have just remembered once when Hal air snapped at hubby when he was on his chain outside on our drive with a particularly tasty bone. It was getting dark and he had to come in, minus the bone. He growled at my husband, Mike whopped him on the muzzle (I know, not good, and I told him off for it and told him that frankly he deserved to get bitten), and Hal air-snapped. His bone was still removed, and he was brought inside grumbling and growling and protesting, rather understandably I feel. But that snap was naughty with a capital N, and should never be condoned or excused. He never did it again.

No dog should EVER snap or bite the hand that feeds him. If he does, then this must be dealt with in whatever method one chooses to use. If a dog will snap or bite at the hand that feeds him, then as sure as night follows day he is capable of snapping or biting at a child ... and we all know where that can lead.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Whilst you should be able to remove things from your dog I do find it odd that people do for no reason other than 'because I can'. I doubt many of us would not react if someone kept taking our food away from us or taking the remote control to the telly or taking our car or anything else we value highly.
Put yourself in their shoes if you wouldn't like it done to you then why constantly do it to your dog?
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Would it not be better to teach your dog a Give or Leave command rather than to confront and smack a chained dog? Just a thought...
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Youre too soft to be alpha matey.....you are just pretending!
Well whatever I am doing, it works, cos 2 mals, 2 adults, 2 kids and a cat all live peacefully under one roof

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm surprised, looking at the poll results, how many believe they should be in an ''alpha'' role over their dog.
As I said..it depends on what breeds they have

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Lots of people do. Lots of people think CM is the business too though.
He's a ****

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
But I think 'Alpha male' has too many connotations... I am not my dog's pack leader, I am their guide and their educator and I protect them and yes, I guess I am the authority figure in their life but I do not like to be referred to as a dog!

So what does the alpha wolf do?? all of the above?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Whilst you should be able to remove things from your dog I do find it odd that people do for no reason other than 'because I can'. I doubt many of us would not react if someone kept taking our food away from us or taking the remote control to the telly or taking our car or anything else we value highly.
Put yourself in their shoes if you wouldn't like it done to you then why constantly do it to your dog?
Becky
I absolutely agree with you here Mahooli. Why on earth would you want to take away a bone from a dog for no good reason, and expect it not to protest? I wouldn't want someone to whip away my plate half way through my meal, and make me do some trick before I could have it back again, just because they could.

I appreciate that my OH wanted the dog to come in, and we don't allow bones in the house (at least we didn't then, because we didn't have any stone floors), but I don't think he handled the situation at all well.

I personally don't think it is too unreasonable that Hal should have growled at hubby, but to air snap, that's going one step too far - you've got me thinking now. I think what I think is just that, that a verbal protest is OK, but a snap or bite, no way.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Would it not be better to teach your dog a Give or Leave command rather than to confront and smack a chained dog? Just a thought...
Yes it would ! But OH is only a man !! Need I say more
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Lottie : I don't know how to say this nicely, but you cannot have your dogs snapping at you !! That is so bang out of order. You are no way the authority figure in their lives I'm afraid. If you were they would not be snapping at you !
Really?

Have you met me? Or my dogs?

Nope

I do not 'have my dogs snapping at me'... they've done it VERY occasionally. Eddy is senile, he's snapped at my BIL once when he went into his face, not realising he was having a 'moment' and Eddy didn't recognise him.

Takara has had 'issues' in the past and I've spent a long, long time working on it with her. She used to guard locations (the reason for which I'm fully aware and do not wish to go into) and I spent a damn long time working on it with her. She now never does it.

NOT ONCE did I follow the various bits of advice I got about rolling her, grabbing her scruff or other ways of 'showing her who's boss'. I respected her anxieties, I worked with her and I taught her that there was no need to snap at me.

I'm afraid I do not agree with your statement. Dogs cannot talk, they cannot reason or even argue - their body language does that for them.
Takara is 3 and a half and the last time she snapped at me she was still very much a 'teenager'.
I have always seen my parents as authority figures but it hasn't stopped me having a row or snapping at them in the past when I was a teenager. I see this as no different.

Not once has Takara ever offered to actually hurt me, even during her worst moments with the location guarding. I recognised that she had anxieties about being removed from such locations and we worked together. Getting heavy handed with her would not have helped and I was right to disregard the rubbish I received about pack leadership because it quite clearly worked.

When I said she snaps, I also said she very rarely snaps. Perhaps, since her last snap she'll never do it again... it's been long enough, or perhaps she will. But I know that she will not hurt me because we've worked through the worst of it together.

IF she ever snaps again, we'll work through it again. For now, she's a damn good dog who I'm mightily proud of and nobody, BAR NOBODY who doesn't know me or has never even met either of us, will tell me how the relationship stands between us.

Thank you for your concern but it is entirely misdirected.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
So what does the alpha wolf do?? all of the above?
*Sigh* I'm sorry... I thought this was a poll based on what alpha is generally seen as...

I do none of the common so called 'techniques' to assert myself as alpha.

AND I'm a 'dog owner' - I personally don't like to be called the 'alpha male' because a) I'm not a dog, and b) I'm female
Page 9 of 92 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »