Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Katrina342 View Post
ooohhhh! Ray, are you a pedant then?

No, I wouldn't describe myself as a pedant, but I do like to see anything written with reasonable care, bearing in mind it is so easy to make corrections on the computer keyboard before posting.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
No, I wouldn't describe myself as a pedant, but I do like to see anything written with reasonable care, bearing in mind it is so easy to make corrections on the computer keyboard before posting.
I agree with you on the whole, however the use of e-mail radically changed our writing style. We no longer write as in written copy, but in conversational language.

I wonder how this will all develop over the next 20 years or so...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Yes, it was a bit harsh, thats why I amended it. What I was getting at, was that although poor spelling is to some degree excusable, it is only common curtesy to the intended audience, to re-read your post and correct the silly mistakes, like no spacing between words, or getting letters wrong (like hte instead of the)

There have been some terrible examples of people just banging their posts out, and then submitting it, obviously not checking it first. This is what I am referring to as lazy. I appreciate everyone can make spelling and puntuation mistakes, and I have certainly made some, but would be ashamed of myself if my posts were as bad as some I've read.

However, to anyone who may have read my post before it was edited, please accept my apolopgies
I know what you mean Ray. My spelling isn't the best when I've had a few, but I always try and check my posts before I submit them either way.

*Checks Spelling!*
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes, it was a bit harsh, thats why I amended it. What I was getting at, was that although poor spelling is to some degree excusable, it is only common curtesy to the intended audience, to re-read your post and correct the silly mistakes, like no spacing between words, or getting letters wrong (like hte instead of the)

There have been some terrible examples of people just banging their posts out, and then submitting it, obviously not checking it first. This is what I am referring to as lazy. I appreciate everyone can make spelling and puntuation mistakes, and I have certainly made some, but would be ashamed of myself if my posts were as bad as some I've read.

However, to anyone who may have read my post before it was edited, please accept my apolopgies
that would be me
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by ceiron View Post
that would be me

Best to keep them short them, and you can't go too far wrong
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 02:13 AM
keep them short them

pah
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by ceiron View Post
keep them short them

pah
Well I have already admitted that I make mistakes as well (see post number 80)

Would you bleeive I mdae taht msitkae to see if aynobdy ntoecid?

Just kidding
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Amen to that!

Actually, scrub that. I am a pedant. I was watching Rebus the other night, where the female detective received the sinister note: "Hows your pussy?", after finding her cat dead in the fridge.

I couldn't help but say aloud: "Should be an apostrophe after the w". You know you've got it bad when you start on that lonely path...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Don't be lonely GSDLover - I have trudged that path for years
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer View Post
Don't be lonely GSDLover - I have trudged that path for years
hehe I'm just as bad in shops and walking around streets. If I see signs that have fundamentally bad grammar I can't help but moan to myself how the world is in decline and how I perish the thought that today's youth will be responsible for spoon-feeding me in my old age.
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >