Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Toileting Issues ~ Seperation Anxiety?

Hi Guys,

As you know I brought 6 mth old Willow home from the vet's to live with us on Wednesday. Her first night she settled really well. The next morning she had a "whoopsie" in the sitting room when I left the girls to school. (She had been closed in the kitchen, but can open doors.)

Last night she opened the door twice. I said "No" firmly and put her to bed and shut the door each time. Third time she waited longer and tried to open the door, but stopped when I said "No" again. Settled fine the rest of the night.

So this morning she goes out the back and has a dump out there, but no pee. She seems to prefare grass (my back is gravel) so I took her to waste ground at the end of my street, still no pee.

So I take the kids to school (10min total). When I return I can hear barking from my bedroom (she had to open 3 doors to get in there!). I come in she has taken a dump in the middle of my bed and a major pee in the middle of my youngest kids bed. *sigh*

I say nothing and clean it up. How do I deal with this?

When I take her outside to pee she doesn't sniff around like most dogs do, she generally just stand beside me looking at me. On the occasions she does pee/dump outside I lavish praise on her. Accidents indoors aren't done infront of us. When I come across them I ignore.

I have also got some "Four Paws Wee-wee Puppy house breaking aid". I put a few drops outside which is to help incourage her to pee there. She has gone once where I placed it. Access to garden is only when I take her outside to toilet.

Is this seperation anixety, or any other ideas? How best to deal with the toiet training?

Also I'd rather not crate her if I can avoid it. Has anyone here used baby gates with a Whippet type? Are they successful keeping them in the one room?

All good advice appreciated. Sorry for the long rant!!! I have posted this on other doggie forums, apologies to many one reading this more than once!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Morning Evie.

You are doing the right thing ignoring her.

It sounds to me like wherever she has been before, toileting has been a bit of an issue and she doesn't want to do it in front of you. You could try taking her outside and turning your back on her.
Could you let her go out to your back on her own??? Then praise lavishly when she does something, a really tasty treat in hand???

I would also suggest you get a little lock for your kitchen door (is that where she stays?) You know one of those little bolts that are easy to fit?
If you can ensure she can't have access to any other room while you are out or unable to watch her that will help immediately.

Poor little thing does sound like she's scared to let you see her do it for some reason, poor thing. Carry on totally ignoring the accidents, don't even sigh (much as you may want to) and praise her when she does go in the right place, maybe even give her a small treat as she's actually spending in the right place, we do that with the young pups, then have a liteel game with her, so everything to do with spending is fun. She'll get there with kindness and patience, which I'm sure you have in abundance!!!

Good luck
Ailsaxxxxxxxxx

I don't know about stair gates and this type of dogs, you can get doggy gates that are taller though. Check Argos out.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Going right back to basics and treating her as you would an 8 week old puppy may be the way to overcome the problems. Here is a helpful Dogsey article by Minihaha: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Thank you for your replies. Ailsa, I thought the same as you - that she is afraid to be seen toileting by people. Turning my back doesn't seem to make a difference. Though I know it is early days yet.

I just want to make sure I'm dealing with this correctly from day one,and your posts seem to confirm I am, thank goodness.

I was considering a gate because it means no sratching at the door. But a lock seems less expensive an option to a crate or gate!

Thanks for your help. :smt002
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 12:57 PM
just read through your post again. If you wnat her to just pee and poop in the same place and on command that pee pee poo stuff (????!!!!!) will help and not letting her free access to the garden for the first couple of weeks will also help. If you don't mind where she goes, I'd leave the door open (if it is safe to for security for the house and Willow) and see if she'll wander out on her own????)

Also check out what you are feeding her and how often? You'll soon get an idea of when she goes and how many poos a day she needs, it's probably about 3 to 4 poos a day at 6 months, Saturn is 8 months and is on 2 to 3 a day with 2 meals. I'm convinced she'll soon get the idea!!!!
Agree with SB too, back to basics, but I get the idea that's what you're already doing anyway?!
Ailsa xxxxx
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2006, 12:58 PM
All I can tell you is that Blondi, our GSD did this when we took her in. We went to bed, she would leave us a "love parcel" to warm our feet in the next morning.

We just calmly cleaned it up and said nothing. She just stopped after about the third night I think it was. In this case it was pure seperation stress mixed with finding her feet in the new surrounding, etc.

I would be very tempted to give it a solid (excuse the pun) week and see if it resolves itself.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I've just read through your other posts too and hadn't appreciated she'd had an op...could be the GA working through her system too...
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
All I can tell you is that Blondi, our GSD did this when we took her in. We went to bed, she would leave us a "love parcel" to warm our feet in the next morning.
How sweet of your dog.
Your post is very reassuring, thank you for sharing.

Ailsa,
Yes I want her to eventually do it to the "busy-busy" comand a la Guide Dogs. At the moment I would be happy if she just did it outside instead of the beds!! When she does it outside she gets the command as she does it then loads of praise.

I hadn't thought on effects of the GA on her, good point. Plus all the stress she has been under, god love her!

She's fed twice a day on dry food, so far two dumps a day. She hasn't widdled since before 9am this morning. She must have a HUGE bladder!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Awwww bless her!!! She'll soon get the idea, especially when she realises this is her new lovely home and noone is going to hurt her!!!
Awww.
I want more pics please!!!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!!
Ailsa xxxx
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Finally at 5.30ish she had her second piddle of the day.... on the landing carpet.

I had her outside with me getting in the washing from the line, waited around to see if she needed a widdle, but no joy.

Headed upstairs to put away the washing, not up there two seconds and she floods the landing. Took her straight downstairs and outside, but the deed was done. Looks like she thinks upstairs is a huge toilet.

Outside the vets tonight she obliged very nicely in their doggy toilet, with much praise from me. Small steps....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >