Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I can confirm that my dogs also have eaten cooked bones that they have scrounged from the garbage over the decades I have owned dogs and come to no harm.

However, as helena says, one day my luck could and probably would run out, so my advice to anyone asking if they can feed cooked bones to their dogs would be a definite No! Raw bones are much, much better for them in any case - natural dental floss!
Yes, mine find them because some a-holes around here feed foxes and consequently there are often bones scattered about. It infuriates me.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree with everyone advising against feeding cooked chicken bones - cooked chicken bones splinter, raw chicken bones do not.

Even if it doesn't result in a medical emergency, there is a good chance that some degree of damage could be done - even if it is a tiny rupture from a tiny splinter. I certainly would not take the risk, and I would always warn against it in such a thread.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I am sure many dogs have eaten things they should not have, mine have over the years, and by good luck (nothing else) they have been OK, but if someone is asking " is it OK to feed cooked bones" then the answer is No, due to the reasons already posted!!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Did I say anything to the contrary?

You said that "once cooked, ALL bones will splinter and will damage your dogs intestines". This is simply not true. They CAN splinter and damage a dogs intestines but to say that they will all of the time is false. As I said, if this were indeed the case, my dogs would have very damaged intestines and would have had multiple surgeries by now.
Sigh.. only takes once. Specious arguments impress not. Russian roulette is a dangerous game. For the dogs.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You were lucky! One day your luck will run out. I am replying to the o/p who asked and I quote "is it ok to feed dogs cooked chicken bones" and my reply is no, because, and because I believe that ALL cooked bones will splinter a dog's intestinal tract, that is what I believe, that is what my vets have told me, and it's erring on the side of caution.

On a forum, people can post what they want to post, if it is untrue, then it's up to the o/p to decide upon which advice he will go along with isn't it.

Perhaps you would like me to edit my post so that we don't have 10 pages of this???? Think I will then......
Nice one!! Thank you!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Never should be fed on purpose, but as others say, mine too have stolen them before now, no ill effects and I certainly wouldn't race off to the vets in a panic.

Never would I feed then on purpose though. Raw all the way!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Sigh.. only takes once. Specious arguments impress not. Russian roulette is a dangerous game. For the dogs.
Thanks for the reminder; I'll take that on board.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I would never feed cooked bones to a dog. 1 of my cats raided the waste bin & a splintered chicken bone got stuck his back teeth. Not too bad but he had to be put out so the vet could remove it.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Just had a problem with wee dog who got a section of a large beef rib bone, given raw, wedged across her top palate. She had eaten it down to just the right sise.. It happened once before way back and that time I had to get a knife blade behind it to eject it. this time it was ajust a finger job and thankfully she is very amenable.

Always vigilance with our critters.

Having said that I hate the lists that go around of "foods that are dangerous to dogs" with no indication of amounts that are toxic. A friend's dog once ate a bar of milk chocolate from my bag under the table... his granddaughter is a vet and she assured us that there was no danger ..Milk chocolate has little of the toxin in it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Please note some off topic posts have been removed.
If you think someone has broken the rules please use the report post feature do not start a discussion in the thread.
Thank you
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >