View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Labs....we've always had them. They are easy, loyal, biddable and just good all rounders.

Slovies....I wanted something that was high energy, athletic and pleasing to my eye. Bo certainly ticks all those boxes, especially the extremely high energy bit!

Yorkies.....I didn't pick the breed and to tell you the truth, she was an impulse purchase. Again, not my choice, but I am glad they did.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I didn't choose.
Until these two I had never had a dog; cats galore including many years breeding Siamese until I decided to start rescuing instead, to put something back.

Family was over for a few months and could not exist without a dog, so we took in first a wee puppy, then fostered two more and rehomed them. I was in shock all that time,, three JRT puppies is too much for a novice!

When they left, I was left with wee dog, and that was fine as she had been trained etc.

Then at a new rental, a collie chained up to a 56 lb weight 24.7.... No one wanted her and her story breaks the heart and is a very Irish tale sadly.
Had I not taken her in, she would be dead.

It has not been easy by any means and at times traumatic and I am still not classed by family as a dog person as I would never allow them in my bed! But I have done the amateur best I can and done well.. the dogs think so anyways!

Heavens; that is around 7 years ago now!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I specifically wanted a low maintenance breed in terms of grooming because I suffer from allergies, and didn't want a breed that would shed a lot or have too much of a doggy smell. I wanted a cuddly, companionable breed that would love to snuggle up, and one that could go for long walks/do agility for fun, yet didn't require huge amounts of exercise every day. Someone suggested a whippet and I started researching a lot. Until I answered Sneaky's rehoming ad I'd never actually met one in real life; as soon as I met Sneaks I was in love.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I wanted a dog to be a part of the family who would grow up with my son....Looked at many breeds, then visited a lady who ran Staffie rescue and her dogs, that was it I was hooked, that was 20 odd years ago always had a staffie since....
We got new neighbours and with them came a gorgeous white Boxer, that was my introduction to Boxers, and got my White girl Mollie.....
I love both breeds equally........
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Well I fancied a labrador or a bichon I did prefer a smaller dog but when my children saw the lab they fell in love before I did. My youngest would like a bichon as well but I think one is plenty
Caseykay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Both OH and I grew up with working Border collies on farms so perhaps not surprising we have 3 female BC now. When we got the first two we lived on a farm but now live in town. The Brittany was the result of a lot of research into what OH wanted as a rough shooting companion. Went to field trials, talked to owners of different breeds etc. Decided on a Brittany and then a suitable litter (KC registered from working parents) didn't come up for another 4 years She's a great little dog, all business out working and seemingly tireless, but now she is heading out of puppyhood a fantastic laid back house dog. Just what we wanted and a nice compact size.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Initially it was looks.

The first time I saw a pair of Vizsla's on the beach in Cornwall I stopped dead in my tracks, they literally took my breath away!

Then, about a year later a friends husband got one and she was such a fantastic pup that I started to research them a bit. I knew then that they were the dog for me, but my lifestyle at the time meant that I just couldn't have a dog .

Over the years I met more and more and I never met one that I didn't like.

Last year, at last, the time was right for us to have a dog and I got my boy!

Wouldn't change a thing, he's been completely the right choice and I can't imagine owning any other breed ( except maybe a Frenchie when I'm an old lady! )
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I had friends with Ridgebacks when I was younger and I always secretly loved them almost as much as our own family dogs. My family were GSD and Irish Setters through and through so would never have gotten one.

When my OH and me decided to get our first "together" dog, I immediately thought of a Ridgeback, though OH took more convincing due to their size; he had only had Labs himself before.

I looked at other breeds a little half-heartedly, but with all the research we did we kept coming back to Ridgebacks, for their temperament, intelligence, short manageable coat, and also because they are regarded as one of the lesser barky breeds. Funnily enough I never really cared either way about having the ridge along the spine or not. A ridgeless ridgeback is still a ridgeback IMO.

My OH's parents actually helped seal the deal as they had always loved Ridgebacks when they lived in South Africa, so they were keen to have one in their extended family!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2