Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 01:26 PM

External Hard Drive

After what happened to poor Linda (Lucky Star), I've decided to invest in the above.

I've seen a couple of 500gb ones that look ok. However, personal recommendation is so much better

Anyone got one already that they could recommend please?

Cheers guys
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 01:37 PM
you started with the small one when yo plug it in goto my computer right mouse manage split it into 6x 50 or 5x 60 gb then you can do a quick formate just follow the instructions no problem the only problem is that the 3,5 drives have a problem with uSB a write delay this is known and being worked on i would have suggested a small extern hard drive with usb and fire wire you do not need an extra power supply like you do with the one you have but you have plenty of room to store your files and dirty pictures
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Buying an external harddrive is doing it the expensive way just add partion to you harddrive you have now.

It's just the same the only difference between the 2 is that you can take the external one anywhere you want and use it on anyone’s pc/ laptop.

The harddrive in the external is the same as the one in your pc and can fail just the same.

I like partions in harddrives they have saved my ass so many times in the past. As long as you reinstall on c: and no other then your picturte/ music or anything for that matter stored behind the partion is safe and will be there when you have finished the reinstall if thats what was needed.

As for the recommendation i can not as i don't use them sorry
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I've got a 250gb external harddrive where I keep all my piccies on. Very easy to use and worth it as it keeps my laptop free from big photo files lol!
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 02:56 PM
I have used a couple of them, found them all much of a muchness. I just transfer everything over everycouple of days so I always have a backup of all photos, music and videos. I also use it if I have to transfer anything large to my laptop or other pc.

As leo said they can be expensive but imo worth it as I know how I would feel if anything major happen, where a partion would not have helped.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 04:44 PM
you will be pleased you have it if you buy a new pc and have all your docs, pictures saved then you will be happy i said partition it that things are easier to find if you have a pc with preinstalled software it can be hard to partition it and if it packs up all is gone i can tell you that, at the momment you can pick them up very cheap just look around for the prices under 50 pound a 300 GB you can give a partition a name, my pics, my docs 2007, and so on and in a laptop a hard drive gets hot and thats a killer for laptops but up to you
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
where a partion would not have helped.
Like what?

Just intrested to know
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Like what?

Just intrested to know
Like a hard drive dying all together, have had a couple do so my self.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Like a hard drive dying all together, have had a couple do so my self.
can not a external do that as well?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
can not a external do that as well?
Yeah, but I would much rarther have my photos, music, videos and documents stored on two media just incase, one of which is not local. The odds of both breaking beyond repair is high. I would partion as well but I have always backed up away from the main machine, whether that be an external hdd, dvds, cds and back a few years a 2gb jazz drive..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >