Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thanks both of you. I must just say that that as it got so serious we're now getting professional help to sort it out and have started it today (so far so good).

I think the trouble is I made a fundamental mistake by taking his food away a few times and by petting him during eating. That and his bodily changes form the op' have caused him to go abit nuts.

Still, we're hopefully on the right track now and we know where we went wrong so should start to see some improvements soon. I certainly feel much more positive about it all today.

Thanks for all the advice though ;o)
Glad you are getting help.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks both of you. I must just say that that as it got so serious we're now getting professional help to sort it out and have started it today (so far so good).

I think the trouble is I made a fundamental mistake by taking his food away a few times and by petting him during eating. That and his bodily changes form the op' have caused him to go abit nuts.

Still, we're hopefully on the right track now and we know where we went wrong so should start to see some improvements soon. I certainly feel much more positive about it all today.

Thanks for all the advice though ;o)
In fairness Pidge I think the picking up the food bowl thing is a mistakea massive number of people make. Loads do it. It didn't ever occur to me to be honest...the first time I ever heard about it was when we got our first guide dog pup and they said for us not to do that 'picking up the bowl thing' as it is pointless and only creates problems. It had never occured to me it was something I should do anyway....but I think it is something that has crept in with all the 'dominance' theories that are out there...in order to control your dog you must dominate and all that, therefore you must be in charge of food.

Don't beat yourself up...so many people do it as it is one of those things that is out there as something you should do with your dog.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Soooo is food aggression a sign of dominance then???

Seeing as people aren't beleiving in the alpha thing..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't call resource gaurding a form of dominance....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post

I would say it has nothing to do with dominance and is usually resource guarding. Most dogs if left to their own devices are naturally opportunist eaters and will and claim and eat food as an when they find it because they don't know if and when they will eat again .
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In fairness Pidge I think the picking up the food bowl thing is a mistakea massive number of people make. Loads do it. It didn't ever occur to me to be honest...the first time I ever heard about it was when we got our first guide dog pup and they said for us not to do that 'picking up the bowl thing' as it is pointless and only creates problems. It had never occured to me it was something I should do anyway....but I think it is something that has crept in with all the 'dominance' theories that are out there...in order to control your dog you must dominate and all that, therefore you must be in charge of food.

Don't beat yourself up...so many people do it as it is one of those things that is out there as something you should do with your dog.
Thanks. I am feeling because I know I've done something wrong (which has caused him to be uncomfortable) and it's thrown my whole confidence out BUT I am not dwelling on it anymore as that wont help anyone! xx

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post

Not at all. the complete opposite. What I've done is cause him to be wary and mistrustful of me and to react to that (by growling, freezing, biting etc). This is why I'm so upset.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I wouldn't call resource gaurding a form of dominance....
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I would say it has nothing to do with dominance and is usually resource guarding. Most dogs if left to their own devices are naturally opportunist eaters and will and claim and eat food as an when they find it because they don't know if and when they will eat again .
True, although in a pet home environment and these days they are more grateful to us for being their providers and feel confident that we will feed them. It's when they don't feel this that problems arise.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks. I am feeling because I know I've done something wrong (which has caused him to be uncomfortable) and it's thrown my whole confidence out BUT I am not dwelling on it anymore as that wont help anyone! xx

Not at all. the complete opposite. What I've done is cause him to be wary and mistrustful of me and to react to that (by growling, freezing, biting etc). This is why I'm so upset.

Exactly.

True, although in a pet home environment and these days they are more grateful to us for being their providers and feel confident that we will feed them. It's when they don't feel this that problems arise.
No...don't dwell on it, you're right it won't help anyone.
Pidge, we all make mistakes...Biff used to be a nightmare as I knew nothing when we got him...(well maybe a bit more than nothing). He taught me so much (like it is really horrid trying to catch your dog at midnight in the rain when he won't come in from the garden!!!!!! He taught me the importance of a good recall and how not to teach it to him.... )
Every dog I have had has been a steep learning curve. Hugs x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Taking those hugs with a big smile on my face.

I just feel like I've let him down and as if I'm not as good as I thought I was. I've been going at it all the wrong way!!

Still, we're back on track now. He's happy, healthy, well loved and it's only a minor thing that CAN be rectified and we know how to do it!!

Wish me luck ;o)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:13 PM
You don't need luck.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You don't need luck.