Our sister sites
Our sister sites
happy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Books/Authors re dogs/training/behaviour

Hi,
Just wondering what books or authors you would recommend re dog training / bahaviour / motivation?

Also has anyone seen the DVD "The Motivation Movie" - Joanna Hill? Quite expensive so hesistant to buy it.

I am just getting near the end of Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. Some very interesting and helpful points but i dont like the style of writing. I feel it would be better with summaries so you can read the book then go back to the summaries when you want to put the ideas into practise. (Unless it does this at the end and i haven't got to that yet?!)

Thanks!
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Lol you're asking the wrong crowd. These lot hate anyone and everyone famous...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
I think thats a bit unfair Chris.
There have been a lot of posts recommending training books.
Floatyourboat
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I’ve got “The Motivation Movie” dvd by Joanna Hill. It does have some good tips on it and is interesting but I do think it’s a bit on the expensive side.

“The Culture Clash” is an excellent book but I do wish all books had indexes in the back – it makes it a lot quicker to look specific items up!

I have two books titled “The Dog Whisperer” that are nothing to do with Cesar Milan and make very good reading. One is by John Richardson & Leslye Sharon Cole (thoroughly enjoyed this and a lot of it made good sense), the other is by Paul Owens (haven’t quite finished this one yet but what I’ve read so far is very interesting). I got them both second-hand through Ebay.

Another book I would recommend is “On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals” by Turid Rugaas. Fascinating reading. Some people feel it is a bit debatable but I certainly see what she describes happening in real life when I’m out and about.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
Not at all!! there is some amazing stuff out there
The culture clash is my next book I am planning getting

Depends what you want

I am liking Ian Dunbar and Susan Garrett, also finding 'control unleashed' really really great (of course I dont agree with everything anyone says)
If you are talking famous then victoria stillwell makes more sense than lots of the TV people (whether that is her methods or she is just a figurehead - at least there is some more positive training on the TV)

Also Mini, Patch, Tassle, C&D and loads of others on here talk loads of sense and have helped me out no end
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Floatyourboat View Post
“The Culture Clash” is an excellent book but I do wish all books had indexes in the back – it makes it a lot quicker to look specific items up!
There is an index here if it's any help:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...1/tccindex.htm

I have two books titled “The Dog Whisperer” that are nothing to do with Cesar Milan and make very good reading. One is by John Richardson & Leslye Sharon Cole (thoroughly enjoyed this and a lot of it made good sense), the other is by Paul Owens (haven’t quite finished this one yet but what I’ve read so far is very interesting). I got them both second-hand through Ebay.
I'd forgotten about the Paul Owens one! He is just excellent, I really like his style.

]Another book I would recommend is “On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals” by Turid Rugaas. Fascinating reading. Some people feel it is a bit debatable but I certainly see what she describes happening in real life when I’m out and about.
Agree, I think it's very important to read this in fact

Wys
x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 06:18 AM
I have Calming Signals and found it very interesting and useful in understanding some body language.
I also found "Getting in TTouch with your dog" to be incredibly useful in getting my dog to relax and not be so nervy.
Floatyourboat
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
There is an index here if it's any help:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...1/tccindex.htm

Wys
x

Excellent - thanks for that
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Floatyourboat View Post
Excellent - thanks for that

No probs - anything to make life easier!

Wys
x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I got the Motivation dvd by Joanna Hill recently and thought it was interesting but very short (only 37 minutes long) considering how much it cost. As I bought it off the internet I didn't realise this until it arrived. I would have liked considerably more detail on some of the exercises.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >