View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crazy Dog
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2006, 04:22 PM

Help With a dog that will not walk to a walk (Refuses to go in a particular direction

Hi

I have a 5 year old springer spaniel. She was fine when we first got her but over the last few years she has slowly become difficult to walk.
In the beginning she would walk with "anyone anywhere".
Now she refuses to turn left out of our road ( towards the green). But she will still go any where with her master. But not with other members of the family or friends. But you can drive her anywhere with just other members of the family and friends and she will walk from the car park.
Mean while she will still turn right at the end of our road with anyone but avoids the other park.
For a while we could walk her right and round the back roads to the other parks but she has got wise to that and will not go that way any more.

Any ideas
Thanks
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2006, 05:47 PM
One of the dogs I walk can be funny like that. He always struggles to walk from a quiet cul-de-sac and turn onto a main, busy A road. I assume it's because the oncoming traffic disturbs him. I have to wait a minute or so whilst he refuses to budge and then I can just about coax him to go round the corner, go 5 yards then cut into a little woodland area. On occasion I have to resort to a treat to distract and encourage him.

Other than that I have no suggestions. Hoefully someone else will be along soon to help. And welcome to the forum by the way !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Crazy Dog
Hi

I have a 5 year old springer spaniel. She was fine when we first got her but over the last few years she has slowly become difficult to walk.
In the beginning she would walk with "anyone anywhere".
Now she refuses to turn left out of our road ( to wards the green). But she will still go any where with her master. But not with other members of the family or friends. But you can drive her anywhere with just other members of the family and friends and she will walk from the car park.
Mean while she will still turn right at the end of our road with anyone but avoids the other park.
For a while we could walk her right and round the back roads to the other parks but she has got wise to that and may be will not go that way any more.

Any ideas
Thanks
Hi Crazydog I am assuming there is no physical reason your dog will not walk because she will do so for your husband .

It sounds as if originally some incident may have occurred to scare you dog and the hesitancy has now become a habit . Perhaps you are also anticipating the behavior in which case you could be transferring your hesitancy to your dog and reaffirming any fears she may have . This could be why the behaviour occurs with you /others you inform about it but not your husband.

What do you do when your dog hesitates ?The best course of action is to not hesitate and adopt a bright no nonsense /confident voice and say 'come along' ..and the dog probably will . If this doesn't work after a few attempts, when you get to the 'bad spot' pick her up and carry her a little way and she should walk back.
Crazy Dog
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Now i come to think of it her "master" doesn't usually walk that way ( he takes her in the car).

The behavourist (doggy shrink) said we shouldn't force her but move the car along the route bit by bit so each day she would walk a bit further. she doesn't like that idea she now stops at a certain house and will not pass it unless you cross the road but then she will not cross back.

I will try the treats tomorrow.