Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Howard
New Member!
Male 

17-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Grass patches

Hi
I'm new to this site, and I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but I have two cocker spaniels 20 weeks old, how can I stop the grass from getting burnt from there urine.

Regards Howard
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the forum.
There are a few products out there that change the makeup of the urine to stop it burning the grass but I know there is some concern that this may not be the best for the dog - their urine is how it is for a reason and I know of a few dogs who've suffered recurring cystitis when on these sorts of products.
Two options that don't require the dog ingesting anything - one is you could create a specific toilet area for the dogs and when you take them out to pee, take them to this area. There are pheromone-impregnated 'pee posts' you can buy for dogs to encourage them to use one particular area, but with youn dogs you could probably just as easily train them by taking them out on-lead to this area.
The other is to keep a watering can filled up and on-hand - then just water the areas the dogs pee on to dilute the urine before it has a chance to burn the grass.
Hope these tips help
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Pave an area in your garden?
Artificial Turf?
Concentrate on the front garden and let the dogs have the back?
Don`t look?
There is no way to stop this - sorry.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I feel your pain, I've tried nearly everything! In the end the best solution was to section a part off for him with a fence, which will be paved at the earliest opportunity (it's currently a festering mud pit). If you've got a nice big garden you might get away with it to a certain extent.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:56 PM
if you teach them to use a specific area this will at least minimise the problem. Otherwise watch where they go and pour water over the patch
lynd100
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2011, 04:08 PM
cider vinegar in the water bowl... one capful per bowlful (only once a day mind) - believe me that helps
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by lynd100 View Post
cider vinegar in the water bowl... one capful per bowlful (only once a day mind) - believe me that helps
That's what it is!!!

The nitrates in his/her wee is good for grass, the concentration of the nitrates is the problem.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2011, 07:47 PM
i know you can get these dog rocks from some stores, but i dont know what the side effects are im afraid i have never used them.
If you have a small garden you could try taking him for a walk around the block before letting him into the back garden. Its hard...... You just learn to deal with it after time i think.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I've just gone for the "encourage him to pee in the borders instead" approach. Long as he leaves me lavender bush alone!

Our lawn's a wreck anyway because half of the edging's collapsed and so the game of "actually fetch the tennis ball" ends with a mudslidey return to the humans.