View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

01-06-2004, 01:32 PM

Phantoms

Three of my bitches are having terrible phantoms at the moment, never known them like this. Mum of last years pups is walking around crying and not eating, her sister keeps howling and digging up the beds and silly black thing that lives in doors keeps digging big holes in the garden or trying to get behind the settee. Silly black thing is due for spaying this month, if I can get her near the vet, she is terrified of everything.

Any thing I can give my girls they are driving me mad. :smt022
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Do you have a homeopathic vet near you? One of my girls had a phantom - nesting, lactating, carrying a toy around & trying to nurse it. Our vet gave me some remedy & the next day she was throwing her 'baby' around & completely back to normal. I was amazed at how fast it worked. Can't remember the name of the stuff, too long ago, but it would be worth trying.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2004, 04:37 AM
Is a phantom a false pregnancy? My aunt's female had that and she would gather all of her toys around her stomach under the bed, and carry them around like they were her babies,snapping at anyone who got near. She was lactating as well. It's the strangest thing... Anyone know what causes that?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Yes, same as a false pregnancy (pseudocyesis)

It is caused by progesterone which is manufactured in the ovaries. Usually starts about 6-8 weeks after season. If it happens once it is very likely to keep happening, so best to get non-breeding bitches spayed.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

02-06-2004, 08:42 AM
All my girls over the years have had phantoms but they have never had them as bad as these three this time. Silly Black Thing is due to be spayed this month, haven't decided on Tula as I think she is going blind and don't want to upset her too much and Lilly might have another litter next year. Petal hasn't had one yet but she is just short of a year old.