Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
is that not the same thing? Why do people in cities like Johannesburg spend so much on security? Because they are anxious.
No it is not the same thing at all, and if he was being "protective" what was he being protective of, if not the owner?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
is that not the same thing? Why do people in cities like Johannesburg spend so much on security? Because they are anxious.
sorry I'm not getting your drift
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 02:28 PM
OT-----but helllooooo

Hows the little KW?

rune
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 02:32 PM
This reminds me of something I was told about some GSDs many years ago.

You never know what might 'spook' them!

So you might never know what set him off and he might never do it again.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I said about the 'getting in between' thing because that can be a collie thing anyway
I call Ben the fun police sometimes because when some of his friends are getting a bit too rough he will put himself between them and try and split them up
Collies can have a bit of a control freak thing in them - so rather than protecting anything or not it is possibly just a case of he is very unsure of these big dogs, in his mind them being with his friends/pack is something wrong - so it is his job to split them up

You wanna see my friends collie when he feels something is wrong - like it is 'wrong' for sticks to be in the water - so he has to remove all the sticks from the lake

But really who knows what was going on in his little head? prob not even him
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I have experienced something similar with a very dog-friendly lab that I walk. He is also best friends with Tara our GSD.

There are a couple of black long-coated male GSD's that I have come across when walking the lab. They do seem to intimidate other dogs a bit especially with the two together. He has always given them a wide berth before. I took him out with Tara one day and the two GSD's approached. As the one dog sniffed at Tara the lab flew at him! I do believe he was telling the dog to get away from her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
IAs the one dog sniffed at Tara the lab flew at him! I do believe he was telling the dog to get away from her.
This is a well known phenomenon, when I had my previous male and female Weims, I could only allow the bitch to play if the male was on a lead, he resource guarded her.

So I am always careful with males out with their bitches (I am talking dogs now)
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
You wanna see my friends collie when he feels something is wrong - like it is 'wrong' for sticks to be in the water - so he has to remove all the sticks from the lake

But really who knows what was going on in his little head? prob not even him

Dogs are weirdos aren't they!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is a well known phenomenon, when I had my previous male and female Weims, I could only allow the bitch to play if the male was on a lead, he resource guarded her.

So I am always careful with males out with their bitches (I am talking dogs now)
Well this lab does think he is part of the family. Tara gets on better with him than our own dogs. He was a pup when I started walking him and Tara was less than a year. Sweet!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

I noticed that with Loui before. So it seems they don't need to live together either. Just have to go on a walk together...that's enough for a spat apparently.

Dogs he would have ignored barking at him, he would react completely different towards, when walking with a female.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >