Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
I wondered when the point about not having dogs off lead anywhere near livestock was going to pop up on this thread.
Of course some dogs are better than others when it comes to being in the vicinity of livestock. In fairness to all, ie the dogs and the livestock, it is surely responsible to ensure that your dog is on a lead at all times whether in a field with livestock or near it (including several fields away), you never know when a dog is going to bolt to chase. The issue though of using an e-collar to train your dog to be off lead around livestock or near a field of livestock is to my mind rather irresponsible (and possibly cruel), just keep the dog on a lead.
I appreciate that dogs can run off and run long distances or escape from the house and get into fields with livestock, but that implies the dog would have to be wearing the collar all the time to be effective (unless I missed the point here) and you would have to be close enough to the dog to activate it.
I may have missed many points on here, so apologies but to me the most sensible thing is forget the e-collar keep your dog on a lead...

i agree that i think dogs should be kept on a lead around livestock - but I dont think the training is intended for the collar to be worn persistently. Like training a dog to sit at a kerb, heaven forbid a dog gets out it may be conditioned to wait at the side of the road. I think - and i may be wrong on this - the intention is that the dog is conditioned not to chase livestock if it find itself in that situation , in the same way the episode I mentioned was to stop the dog chasing tyres going forward without collar
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
You have a dog with a high prey drive, you might just have to except it.
In a more round about way - I think that's what my post meant to say
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I'm entitled to express my opinion which I have done. Sallylincs posted and pulled me out in her post and I have responded to it. Yes she was advised by someone to use it but she continues to support them.
At the end of the day you take responsibility for the actions that not only your dog does but also yourself, not pass the buck because someone else advised you to do it. You make the decision whether you take that advice or not. Fine you get quicker responses with an ecollar as your causing your dog a distress to whatever level but I prefer to take the long route and get my dog to obey me because he respects and trusts me.
As for the excuse it doesn't cause pain. How does anyone know whether a dog is in pain and to what extent. Just because a dog doesn't scream or roll around doesn't mean it's not in pain. My boy had a metal spike through his foot. He sat there licking the vet as he removed it and stapled him up. Was my boy therefore not in any pain??
The proof is in the pudding. How many ecollared dogs do you see out and about on walks.
yeah but i think the point is pain goes for one to a thousand on a scale and pain receptors register irritating sensation as well as out n out pain

as for ecollars being seen out n about - are they freely available over here?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
nickyboy, think you are right this is endanger of slipping from a shouting match, lets all step back and consider the OP, is smacking your dog as bad as an e collar? IMO no, because smacking your dog will be done in the heat of the moment, using a shock collar is deliberately setting out to hurt your dog which again IMO is totally not acceptable if you say you are a dog lover.
I'm not shouting at anyone Pita. Shouting would be putting things in bold or capitals or listing someone in their posting which I haven't done in my posts only others that have chosen to pick sections out of my post put it in bold and underline it to make it look worse that what was actually posted. Unfortuntely I cannot control that.
To answer as you've said the OP which is worse. Both are wrong but an ecollar is even worse. Not physically hitting the dog and hiding behind a remote control button so your dog doesn't know its you that is hurting it. Less guilt on the owner I suppose.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
yeah but i think the point is pain goes for one to a thousand on a scale and pain receptors register irritating sensation as well as out n out pain

as for ecollars being seen out n about - are they freely available over here?
Yes and different dogs have different pain thresholds. So how can any owner know there dog is in pain if the dog does not show that pain.
Yes ecollars are available over here. You can order them from most pet shops or get them online.
Thankfully they are looking at banning them for good. We did without them before and we'll do without them again
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
i agree that i think dogs should be kept on a lead around livestock - but I dont think the training is intended for the collar to be worn persistently. Like training a dog to sit at a kerb, heaven forbid a dog gets out it may be conditioned to wait at the side of the road. I think - and i may be wrong on this - the intention is that the dog is conditioned not to chase livestock if it find itself in that situation , in the same way the episode I mentioned was to stop the dog chasing tyres going forward without collar
Thanks, I knew I'd probably missed the point somewhere in wading through the 400 + posts - although I am curious to know if anyone has ever 'conditioned a dog not to chase livestock' in the situation that this thread is about, ie dogs with high prey drives.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Stop maknig excuses for the fact you can't be bothered to put whatever time and training into what your dog requires and have just done what's best for you. Lot's of other people have the same problem with their dogs but they don't all rush out and get e-collars. They keep their dog under control or get in their cars and drive their dogs to where they know there will be no livestock.
I'm not making excuses. I CAN be bothered to put time and training into my dog and I AM doing. I have NOT rushed out and bought an e-collar. I don't even own one and have only ever had one training session with one. I DO keep my dog under control and I DO drive my dog (when I can) to a park where there is no livestock for his off-lead training!!!! There really was no need for that post - it was neither helpful nor informative to anyone. Did you just want an excuse to have a go at me?

Again, can you answer the questions in post #415 and offer constructive advice rather than just slagging me off all the time?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I knew I'd probably missed the point somewhere in wading through the 400 + posts - although I am curious to know if anyone has ever 'conditioned a dog not to chase livestock' in the situation that this thread is about, ie dogs with high prey drives.
Within 20 minutes of the e-collar session I had, Spike was walking off lead, playing with a couple of other dogs and totally ignoring the livestock (which were very close by) no problem.

Because I KNOW the e-collar gave such great results, I also know that he COULD enjoy again the freedom of being off-lead near livestock as he used to. So far, no one (for all their criticism) has come up with another way I could do this using positive methods. The only answer I get is 'keep him on lead' - this isn't training him to not chase. It's merely avoiding the problem!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
Within 20 minutes of the e-collar session I had, Spike was walking off lead, playing with a couple of other dogs and totally ignoring the livestock (which were very close by) no problem.

Because I KNOW the e-collar gave such great results, I also know that he COULD enjoy again the freedom of being off-lead near livestock as he used to. So far, no one (for all their criticism) has come up with another way I could do this using positive methods. The only answer I get is 'keep him on lead' - this isn't training him to not chase. It's merely avoiding the problem!
No, not avoiding the problem just being realistic and I did post in answer to your challenge.
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Sorry but no dog should be off lead around livestock, e-collar or not, it's not fair to the livestock, the dog or the owner, and sometimes, yes, you do have to avoid things - it's about keeping the livestock and the dog safe.
Page 45 of 64 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »