View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
If you walk around and shoot people, then the police will come for you, regardless of your personal circumstances.

If you then decide to have a stand-off with police and sit/stand/lie with a gun pointed at your head, there is a pretty good chance that *someone* will get shot.

Tasers are technically a non-lethal weapon; used for violent/non-approachable suspects. I think they probably aren't used enough. Of course someone shot with one will convulse - that's the point!

If someone happened to have a gun pointed at their head (which, frankly, is a silly thing to be doing anyway) when they were tasered, then that's just the luck of the draw.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Police don't often invite family to 'help' bring in a suspect who has shot members of the public and police officers, who is running around with a gun, threatening to shoot people etc. Why would you put a non-trained, civilian into that situation?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Nicci - I understand that you and your family have had a horrible time at the hands of those who are supposed to protect us. It must be a difficult thing to deal with in your day to day life.

However, in the Moat case, the man in question came out of prison and shot 3 people. That's it. It doesn't matter what his personal circumstances were at the time; he broke the law.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Nicci - I understand that you and your family have had a horrible time at the hands of those who are supposed to protect us. It must be a difficult thing to deal with in your day to day life.

However, in the Moat case, the man in question came out of prison and shot 3 people. That's it. It doesn't matter what his personal circumstances were at the time; he broke the law.
The Moat case has nothing to to do with your husband's involvement with the law Nicci, except in that they both broke the law-vigilantism is against the law in this country & no-one has the right to attack another-no matter justifcation they think they have.

The innocent policeman(as you are including both the ex & her new boyfriend as being the cause of the shootings) is probably going to be left blind-the end of his career-what did he do to justify being shot-oh yes he is a bad bad man as he is a policeman & so deserved to be shot.

Of course it wasn't Moat's fault it was & is society's fault for not being perfect isn't it ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your husband Nicci, and all that you must have to go through on a regular basis, it must be like living life on a knife edge, but thankfully, he got the help and hopefully, he'll carry on taking the medication and all will be fine for the rest of his life.

I suppose there are hundreds of people around the country just like this Moat chap and just like your own husband, and it seems to be coming more to the fore of late, what with the recent events in Cumbria with that other chap. Perhaps it's a result of the way we have to live our lives nowadays in the fast lane just to keep up, who knows, perhaps we're now seeing the effects of unstable families which we never had to this great amount way back in the 50's/60's, resulting in the unstable adults in today's society. Perhaps we always had them, but we didn't get to hear about them so much because we didn't have 24 hour news? Who knows

All I know is, one chap who in my eyes was a complete undesirable, no matter how c*ap a life he had, it doesn't have to follow that you have to live your life feeling sorry for yourself and lashing out at others, you have to find a way to turn yourself around, he didn't choose that route, and it ended in his demise, it's just so sad that other, totally innocent people had to get involved in his plans to seek revenge, but no matter what the failings of the police were, this man would have definitely shot himself eventually, we just have to be grateful that no more lives were lost before he got to that. Again, you only have to go back to Cumbria, how 10 totally, totally innocent people just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the police could have found themselves in exactly the same situation there as they did here, but thankfully, he ended it before they got there, and I really wish this one had been the same. Unfortunately, there's going to be a lot of paperwork, a lot of investigations to make them look bad in the process, some might lose their jobs, good jobs, ones that they've strived for all of their lives, families trying to come to terms, it's all such a mess and all because of some idiot with a sawn off shotgun!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Nicci, your story is poles apart from Moats, and with respect, I am not sure if you are allowing that to cloud your judgment on Moats state of health.

You asked me earlier, if I was qualified to give an opinion on Moats state of health, no ofcause I am not, as you are not either.

You ask if any of us would act if any of our loved ones/children where put at risk, you bet I would , and I expect others will say the same.

But Moat was not in that situation, he was a man , who frequently beat up his g/friend, his child, are all wife beaters mentally ill does that give them an excuse to go out and kill !!

Do we label every man that beats up or kills an ex partner , when they go off with someone else , as mentally ill who was he protecting???

if Moat had any form of mental illness , it would have been picked up while he was in prison, just like you partner!! but it was not.

The man acted out of jealousy and revenge, a man who plots while in prison with friends to get him a gun so can go and shoot to kill his X and her b/friend is not a man who is plagued by mental illness, its a man who is plotting to make sure his X is not going to get way from him!!

I am absolutely baffled and a little disturbed by the amount of support this man has received from some members of our society... he is a hero, he never let them (police) take him down, he was a good bloke ,

People going and laying flowers at the scene, peopel going to take photo`s of the scene, what the hell is wrong with people,

Does anyone think the bloke in Cumbria is also a hero, after all they both went on the rampage, killed peopel and terrorised a community... or is it down to how many people they have killed, is one life not as serious as 10???

I am flabbergasted, I really am , that anyone can try to justify or feel compassion for a murderer , who cold bloodily went with the intent to kill .

The policeman I admire, he is a better man than I would be, but lets not forget the family of the innocent bloke he did kill or the woman he has put in hospital, we have not heard them giving forgiveness have we, and why should they.

The outcome was inevitable, he took his own life.. as they invariably do, at least he did not take any more innocent ones!!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nicci, your story is poles apart from Moats, and with respect, I am not sure if you are allowing that to cloud your judgment on Moats state of health.

You asked me earlier, if I was qualified to give an opinion on Moats state of health, no ofcause I am not, as you are not either.

You ask if any of us would act if any of our loved ones/children where put at risk, you bet I would , and I expect others will say the same.

But Moat was not in that situation, he was a man , who frequently beat up his g/friend, his child, are all wife beaters mentally ill does that give them an excuse to go out and kill !!

Do we label every man that beats up or kills an ex partner , when they go off with someone else , as mentally ill who was he protecting???

if Moat had any form of mental illness , it would have been picked up while he was in prison, just like you partner!! but it was not.

The man acted out of jealousy and revenge, a man who plots while in prison with friends to get him a gun so can go and shoot to kill his X and her b/friend is not a man who is plagued by mental illness, its a man who is plotting to make sure his X is not going to get way from him!!

I am absolutely baffled and a little disturbed by the amount of support this man has received from some members of our society... he is a hero, he never let them (police) take him down, he was a good bloke ,

People going and laying flowers at the scene, peopel going to take photo`s of the scene, what the hell is wrong with people,

Does anyone think the bloke in Cumbria is also a hero, after all they both went on the rampage, killed peopel and terrorised a community... or is it down to how many people they have killed, is one life not as serious as 10???

I am flabbergasted, I really am , that anyone can try to justify or feel compassion for a murderer , who cold bloodily went with the intent to kill .

The policeman I admire, he is a better man than I would be, but lets not forget the family of the innocent bloke he did kill or the woman he has put in hospital, we have not heard them giving forgiveness have we, and why should they.

The outcome was inevitable, he took his own life.. as they invariably do, at least he did not take any more innocent ones!!

I let nothing cloud my judgement, I can unfortunately see this from that of those whom have family killed and injured, and also from Mr Moats side but that certainly doesn't mean I condone his actions or agree with what he did, I've said that all along.

If you go a few pages back, I mentioned I've had a member of my family murdered I was 16 at the time, that member of my family was stabbed to death in front of their two oldest children by a gang of teenagers that should have known better, because they were teenagers the oldest one got sentenced to manslaughter and the others for for assisting and encouraging in my uncles stabbing which meant of course nothing more than slapped wrists for them all, they all walk around free now, whilst we all got a life sentence.

Speaking as someone who has had a member of their family tragically snatched away, yes you are damn well angry at the time & do struggle to come to terms with that loss and it takes a long, long time, here I am 20 years later still mourning that loss of life but at the stage where I am no longer angry, even going as far as forgiving the people responsible - because if you don't it eats away at you and completely destroys your life, which is what has happened to the two oldest sons who saw their father die, both are dependant on drugs (heroin) and have been in and out of prison since then for petty offences, I wasn't prepared to let that happen to me but it doesn't mean I don't miss or love the person that died, it just means I wasn't prepared to let what happened destroy and control my life - as explained above after those circumstances, you have two paths that can be taken, we have one life, it's not a dress rehersal.

No one can actually say what they think of the police until you need their help, but more times that most (as above) you are let down by them and the CPS. Murder is murder if you take anothers life, life should mean life, even if they are teenagers.

I've never said Mr Moat was a good man or a hero as he wasn't, but I do honestly believe he was disturbed in some way I can't see what is wrong with that as I honestly believe that to be the case of those people who stabbed my uncle to death because it isn't normal is it? We don't all suddenly wake up one morning and decide to go shooting at someone or stab someone to death - if you do, your not in the right state of mind and need help.

I don't believe everything I read in the papers, as we all know they thrive on destroying lives further and live for sensationalism - it's how they happen to sell the damn things which belong in the bin.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I believe that Moat's business and personal lives were in free fall before he went to prison. Being sentenced to custody made the situation worse and to top it all it gave his OH the space to start another relationship. Little surprise that he was chuntering about revenge before he was released, hence the warning from prison staff.

Having shot his ex through the living room window, her new partner came rushing out with an iron bar and was killed. Moat knew at this point that once caught he was going to spend the rest of his life in prison. He had nothing to lose so could blast a police officer knowing that it wouldn't make a lot of difference to the outcome.

He could have crept away and committed suicide quietly at this point. Instead he chose to publicly challenge the police to a game of cat and mouse, knowing that if taken alive he would be in custody for the rest of his life, probably on suicide watch which is no fun. He strung it out for a week until they tracked him down. He could have come quietly when they found him and served the sentence or he could prolong the drama and then do what he alway intended to do all along...killl himself and avoid the sentence.

Yes he deserves some sympathy for the fact his life was sliding down the pan on every front. But lots of other people cope with life's problems without becoming a murderous attention seekers. Bizarrely he has created a tidal wave of sympathy from well wishers, but then so has Peter Sutcliffe.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I believe that Moat's business and personal lives were in free fall before he went to prison. Being sentenced to custody made the situation worse and to top it all it gave his OH the space to start another relationship. Little surprise that he was chuntering about revenge before he was released, hence the warning from prison staff.

I've bolded ''hence the warning from prison staff'' just to highlight a few things, that warning may have been given but what was done about it ? Nothing, just simply left for someone else to pass the book, had something been done, Chris Brown could have quite possibly still been alive to tell the tale and Sam Stobbart may not have been injured along with PC Rathband - those threats, may have not been taken seriously enough, may have been like too much paperwork, or the warnings from other inmates to Prison Staff were not believed.

He could have been detained there further for ''Making threats to kill/Injure Harm someone''. http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...&filesize=2228

That is a crime in itself, he because of that could of had extra days, weeks, months added to that sentence, they are called '''Adjudication Hearings''' he could have got a maximum of 42 days added to that sentence for each finding of guilt, anything over that it would have had to go to an outside court hearing - but still, the failings are there.

As to regards the public fan pages webpages, I cannot mourn for someone I did not know.
But, whether we like it or not Mr Moat had family and friends who did love him whom have a right to mourn his loss whether we view that sick or wrong is either here nor there, love cannot be turned off, love sees beyond flaws, mistakes, weaknesses and poor judgements, we all have faults, we aren't all perfect and whatever we do in life there are always going to be people left behind that miss us, despite what we do or may have done.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I've bolded ''hence the warning from prison staff'' just to highlight a few things, that warning may have been given but what was done about it ? Nothing, just simply left for someone else to pass the book, had something been done, Chris Brown could have quite possibly still been alive to tell the tale and Sam Stobbart may not have been injured along with PC Rathband - those threats, may have not been taken seriously enough, may have been like too much paperwork, or the warnings from other inmates to Prison Staff were not believed.

He could have been detained there further for ''Making threats to kill/Injure Harm someone''. http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...&filesize=2228

That is a crime in itself, he because of that could of had extra days, weeks, months added to that sentence, they are called '''Adjudication Hearings''' he could have got a maximum of 42 days added to that sentence for each finding of guilt, anything over that it would have had to go to an outside court hearing - but still, the failings are there.

As to regards the public fan pages webpages, I cannot mourn for someone I did not know.
But, whether we like it or not Mr Moat had family and friends who did love him whom have a right to mourn his loss whether we view that sick or wrong is either here nor there, love cannot be turned off, love sees beyond flaws and mistakes weaknesses and poor judgements, we all have faults, we aren't all perfect and whatever we do in life there are always going to be people that miss us, despite what we do or may have done.
Yet they did NOTHING to help during the time he was evading capture, terrorising people, KILLING people, breaking into peoples homes. They did NOTHING to warn Police of his intentions, (except his uncle who was useless and his mother who wanted him dead) NOTHING to highlight the risk he posed BEFORE leaving prison, and NOTHING to help UNTIL he was captured, yeah, they can have THEIR bit of fame now, just a shame the poor families of the man he killed cant even have their son to love anymore.

I cannot believe any clear thinking person can have any sympathy for a monster like that, he deserves nothing more than he got.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yet they did NOTHING to help during the time he was evading capture, terrorising people, KILLING people, breaking into peoples homes. They did NOTHING to warn Police of his intentions, (except his uncle who was useless and his mother who wanted him dead) NOTHING to highlight the risk he posed BEFORE leaving prison, and NOTHING to help UNTIL he was captured, yeah, they can have THEIR bit of fame now, just a shame the poor families of the man he killed cant even have their son to love anymore.

I cannot believe any clear thinking person can have any sympathy for a monster like that, he deserves nothing more than he got.
How could they have done anything when they weren't allowed ? The police kept putting black outs on the press for all we know they may have tried to help..

It's also been suggested somewhere today that the gun he had in his possession was possibly obtained from two police officers, whom were both before they were spared jail firearms licencing officers
Page 20 of 23 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 >