Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Large lump on neck

I am pretty sure (and am hoping that I am right) that the lump that has appeared on Jimmi's neck is as a result of several subcutaneous injections over the past week.

It is about the shape and size of half an apricot and is rock hard; situated on the right side of his neck at the back, just above his shoulder blade.

I noticed it this morning, and am sure that I would have felt it or spotted it in the past had it been there. Is it common for a lump such as this to come up several days after an injection? I know that horses sometimes do this, but am not sure if it is the same with dogs.

Over the past week he has had:
1 Steroid injection plus one ab injection
Three days later, one ab injection plus a sedative (but the sedative may not have been subcutaneous - my vet nurse days were over 40 years ago so cannot remember!)

It may be that I am imagining things, but tonight the lump seems to still be growing.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:05 AM
I still think it could be as a result of the injections Bitkin but if you are worried I think I would call the vet and see what they think . It may put your mind at rest especially if it still seems to be growing
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Most likely to be the result of all the jabs he's had recently. My GSD of a few years ago would suffer with this.
If you are worried, a word with the vet will ease your mind though.
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:44 AM
It is more likely the steriod injection that has caused the lump, although some dogs can get that reaction from abs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh dear...... once again this is something I had to research on with my previous gsd, and I'm quite amazed in fact, that vets who are WELL AWARE of the problems these injections can cause, never, ever tell us about it do they

I lost my previous gsd with exactly this problem, it is termed as sarcoma at site of vaccination and is a very common problem, due to the fact that they always, always jab our dogs in the same place, and that is the reason why, they have had to rethink our annual boosters because these are the worst jabs for sitting in that spot for 7/10 days. People who are aware, like me, sometimes have jabs put in one of the hind legs, because afterall, years down the line, it's better to amputate a leg than have what I had with my shepherd with her cancer in that exact spot. Her lump originally appeared, suddenly, and went to the size of a small football, and I was so horrified, I rushed her to the vet, he drained it and said there was nothing nasty in it and he didn't know what it was. 5 years later after keeping an eye on the site, coz it turned to a flat, hard lump grabbing hold of her spine, it erupted again, but only to the size of a big marble, so I took her back again. He biopsied it, I cried even though he told me he could guarantee me it was "nothing sinister", I knew in my gut, and within 2 weeks it had grown to the size of a golf ball, but had remained stuck to her spine at one point, so that we had two golf ball sized lumps in that spot. I researched and voila, that's what it was, sarcoma at site of vaccination, because that dog had been jabbed year in year out, plus all the other jabs over time, but now I know better

If it's a flat, hard kind of lump, it should stay just like my dog's did for many years, but at the very first sign of it turning into a round lump, I would get him to the vets. Ask the vet about what I'm saying here next time you take him?!

Apparently, from my research, we are supposed to rub that area after any jabs, keep at it, keep dispursing the injection and that will help, but nobody ever told me that
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I hope you get it sorted and its nothing serious
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by cardaph View Post
I still think it could be as a result of the injections Bitkin but if you are worried I think I would call the vet and see what they think . It may put your mind at rest especially if it still seems to be growing
I now have something new to worry about, (subject of probably yet another plea for thoughts ) but thankfully it does seem that the lump is decreasing in size.
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
Most likely to be the result of all the jabs he's had recently. My GSD of a few years ago would suffer with this.
If you are worried, a word with the vet will ease your mind though.
Yes - one of our ponies always developed a hard lump after injections. Thank you for your reassurance.

Originally Posted by KatieSmith View Post
It is more likely the steriod injection that has caused the lump, although some dogs can get that reaction from abs.
I did wonder about that steroid injection, and it is also possible that he had another one whilst there for the abscess lancing thing........who knows what they gave him, but the bill was certainly large!!!
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh dear...... once again this is something I had to research on with my previous gsd, and I'm quite amazed in fact, that vets who are WELL AWARE of the problems these injections can cause, never, ever tell us about it do they

I lost my previous gsd with exactly this problem, it is termed as sarcoma at site of vaccination and is a very common problem, due to the fact that they always, always jab our dogs in the same place, and that is the reason why, they have had to rethink our annual boosters because these are the worst jabs for sitting in that spot for 7/10 days. People who are aware, like me, sometimes have jabs put in one of the hind legs, because afterall, years down the line, it's better to amputate a leg than have what I had with my shepherd with her cancer in that exact spot. Her lump originally appeared, suddenly, and went to the size of a small football, and I was so horrified, I rushed her to the vet, he drained it and said there was nothing nasty in it and he didn't know what it was. 5 years later after keeping an eye on the site, coz it turned to a flat, hard lump grabbing hold of her spine, it erupted again, but only to the size of a big marble, so I took her back again. He biopsied it, I cried even though he told me he could guarantee me it was "nothing sinister", I knew in my gut, and within 2 weeks it had grown to the size of a golf ball, but had remained stuck to her spine at one point, so that we had two golf ball sized lumps in that spot. I researched and voila, that's what it was, sarcoma at site of vaccination, because that dog had been jabbed year in year out, plus all the other jabs over time, but now I know better

If it's a flat, hard kind of lump, it should stay just like my dog's did for many years, but at the very first sign of it turning into a round lump, I would get him to the vets. Ask the vet about what I'm saying here next time you take him?!

Apparently, from my research, we are supposed to rub that area after any jabs, keep at it, keep dispursing the injection and that will help, but nobody ever told me that
Thanks Helena.......I am now worried to death!! Not really, but I do know what you are saying and it is something to consider. The lump has gone down somewhat today thank goodness, and I have been massaging it from pure instinct really. Over the past few days, whenever he has come for a cuddle I have massaged and rubbed and it seems to have paid off.

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I hope you get it sorted and its nothing serious
Thank you - support is always much appreciated.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi Sally, how's that lump today on Jimmi's neck, I do hope it's gone down???? Not to mention the skin on his foot around the abcess point, I hope that's sorted too now? I'll go and check that one out. Sending him some gentle hugs as always.xxx
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2010, 11:11 PM
My GSD has got a lump on her neck, i first noticed it over a year ago and mentioned it to the vet and he said if it grows.... bring her in. At the time it was a very tiny lump and it never changed until recently.

it is 4 X the size it was, she is going to the vets on Thursday.

Dogs make us worry so much, but we just can't live without them.

I hope your dogs lump is nothing to worry about!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 05:49 AM
I hope the lump is dissapearing now, but I would say it would be due to the injections too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >