Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 06:49 PM

to spay or not to spay (my questions)

Hi all...
Sorry about this I know it's been done time and time before but I really just need to write all my concerns so you can tell me whether I should be worried or not.

Up until now I've not had T spayed but am now starting to get this horrible feeling I'm doing the wrong thing.

My reasons for not spaying (despite knowing health risks):

1. putting her through a big op
2. the effects it may have on her emotionally/behaviourally (will she be as playful? as loving?)
3. physical effects - she is food orientated so training is done using food, will she put weight on easier?
4. I show her, although this isn't my main priority, it's something to think about. Am I likely to be given permission to show her?
5. (completely cosmetic) will her scar show? She's a white dog with not much hair on her tummy. I just know that if I see it regularly I'll keep going back to how she was after her op (and I know she'll feel sorry for herself)

Now I'm wondering, will her possessive nature and intolerance with male dogs being too near her calm down if she's spayed and her hormones settle?

The thing is, I'm increasingly worried about pyo and cancer, I won't be breeding her but am still concerned for the above reasons!

Thanks in advance
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I was worried about having my 3yr old spayed too and kept putting it off, but last november i finally booked her in and although i was anxious on the day(i took the day off work) she came through with no problems, shes a big baby and i thought she would worry at the stiches and feel really sorry for her self but other then being a little drunk from the anesthetic the first night she was back to normal the next day, in fact she was off lead within two weeks and chasing tennis balls again after a month.

For the first couple of weeks she was extremly hungry so i split her usual two meals a day into four smaller ones and that definately helped, she has no scar at all my vet tried out a new way of stiching on the inside - he said it was like cosmetic surgery stiching?

She has loads more energy now which may not be a good thing but she hasnt put on any weight even though i still use treats at dog training and agility.

Also her personality hasnt changed at all shes still a big cuddly friendly dog.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for that

Before I got her, my plan was to spay her, it's just that once you've actually got them and you're making potentially life changing decisions for them it's so scary!!

I think I will phone and speak to my vet and see what sort of procedure they'll do and whether they're likely to leave a scar just so that's one point I can cross off! I can't take her there to talk about it because they're quite pushy and they'll make me feel so irresponsible!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 07:54 PM
i had my eldest bitch spayed after her litter , she has gained a little weight but she has developed a thyroid prob also so weight gain could be down to that . she has very litttle hair on her belly but the scar does not show that much its more a very fine line than a noticable scar , it has quietined her mood slightly she is less agressive towards other dogs which used to be a big issue with her , she is still full of her usaul mischief and playful nature . she had her surgery 12wks after her pups were born and she coped really well and healed very quickly .she is just a big suck now she loves to get nursed and cuddled and kisses infact she wants them more now than before her surgery to be honest i was more nervous and worried than she was , she just took it all in her stride after two wks she was playing with the pup we kept and my older dog like nothing had happened . i hope that is of some help lottie x
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 08:04 PM
My Rosie was spayed at the start of 2005, her weight isn't a problem, but her coat is, she used to have a lovely fine flowing coat, now she looks like a wooly sheep, so much so we have to have her clipped every 6 - 8 weeks. Also I have found her to be more hyper since being spayed, before she was such a calm, placid girl, but not any more! So I guess it affects all dogs differently.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 08:14 PM
idont think i can help as i have opted out of having indie speyed.
as far as research goes, speyed bitches tend to have more aggression problems than unspeyed bitches. thats not to say she will become aggressive.

my own decisionw as based on the fact that for one, indie is aggressive with other dogs, and i feel getting her speyed will only make her worse. and two, shes terrified of the vets and i think it would upset her too much to put her through that.
its also a much bigger op for females than it is for males. and the way i look at it is that i wouldnt cut my own body parts off just incase i got cancer. i know theres a big risk, but i cant justify it.

i dunno, i guess u gotta make ur own decision and im sure i didnt help,lol
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I have had 2 spayed bitches, different breeds and spayed at different ages. Neither of them were or have become aggressive. Neither of them put on weight, neither of the coats changed. I had to have my border spayed due to Pyometra, the vet said she was within 12hrs of dying! I showed her and still do, AFTER spaying she has won her stud book number and a reserve CC.

Dollyknockers.
Did you inform the owners of the puppies you sold, that their mother is now Hypothyroid? This is an inherited condition and can be tested for.
Dawn.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the KC prefer you to have a valid reason for speying/neutering a dog when granting permission for her to still be shown?
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I know what you mean lottie about worrying about the op i was really worried that something may go wrong but my girl had to miss training classes(that she loves) and had to be walked at different times to avoid other dogs which meant mainly on lead exercise - not fun for her she loves chasing tennis balls and she didnt like being in season shes a very clean dog (was clean a week after she came home and has never even in that first week messed on the floor) and was constantly licking herself and anywhere she had sat.
I understand you finding it a hard choice to make i found it very hard too but im glad i did.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think the KC prefer you to have a valid reason for speying/neutering a dog when granting permission for her to still be shown?
No random, any male or female can ne neutered for no medical reason, has been for a good few years now. All you do is download or ask for a neuter form from the KC and get your Vet to sign it and say when the op was, you send that to the KC and they acknowledge it within a couple of weeks, that it.
Dawn.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »