Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kmburek17
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2017, 12:37 AM

Problems introducing a new rescue dog

Hi! I could really use some help/advice. If there might be info on this somewhere else in this site, please let me know!

So, we have a 3 1/2 year old Yorkie poo. He's a sweet friendly boy, and pretty well behaved (doesn't go potty in the house, knows basic commands, etc.).

We recently decided to open our home to another dog. He's a pomimo (Pomeranian American Eskimo mix). They estimated that he's about 2 years old. He also seems to be a pretty friendly boy. He's social and has lots of energy, isn't seemingly aggressive, as in he doesn't growl or try to nip at us or our Yorkie poo or anything like that.

The problem here is that the pomimo will absolutely not leave the Yorkie poo alone. He follows him around incessantly, sniffing/licking his privates, sniffing and licking his face and ears. Our Yorkie poo 'corrects' him (growls/bares his teeth/nips) time after time, but the pomimo just won't stop.

Obviously our Yorkie poo is frustrated and annoyed, as is my husband.

We continue to try to avert the pomimos attention and teach him no, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Is there anything anyone can recommend that we do, or is this a lost cause?

Both boys are neutered, but the pomimo was only neutered just a few days ago if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for the help!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Just give it time. How long exactly have you had the new dog? Monitor situations and separate for short times during the day especially if no one is around to keep an eye on them. Feed separately especially so the first dog doesn't feel pressured. Good luck I am sure they will settle eventually.
Kmburek17
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Only for a day! I know being in a new place could be overwhelming, but he just won't leave our other dog alone. He's also now been trying to 'mount' the Yorkie poo. We just aren't sure why/what we can do to stop this.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2017, 12:21 PM
If you can buy Dettol over there and dilute some wipe it round the yorkiepoos rear end and that should deter the other dog. It is all new to him so distraction is the the thing to do. It will take time.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Train him to stop when told, the Yorkie shouldn't have to correct him you and your husband should be doing that. Physically remove him if you have to until he gets the message. What commands does he know?
Kmburek17
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2017, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure what dettol is, but we were going to try the apple bitter spray and see if that helps deter him. Training him to stop when told is definitely easier said than done. We do pull him away and tell him no, and he comes right back again within seconds. I mean, this would go on for hours if we didn't crate the pomimo sometimes. So I guess just consistency with 'no' and pulling him away? We're working on commands with him. It seems that he might have already known 'sit' but he doesn't necessarily do it consistently. So that's where we're staring with that.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Put a harness and a house line on him, that way you can stop him in his tracks every time he harasses the Yorkie.
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2017, 04:46 AM
I foster dogs and I'm not sure if your familiar with the 2 week shut down but it works miracles.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Bitter apple spray may work. You can only try and see. But I would probably do what Trouble suggests, combined with a very firm No and/or ah ah sound.