Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malinowskic3
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2017, 01:57 PM

Golden Retriever not eating

Hello! I have a Golden Retriever who I think is about 8 years old (Found as a stray). Like most Golden's, eating has never been a problem for him! He loves food!

August 24th - he got the bordatella vaccine. 2 days later he became sick, dry heaving, not eating, no energy. I gave him beef broth and unflavored pedialyte and his demeanor increased over the next couple days.
August 28th - we went to the vet just to be sure. They didn't really anything just that he was limping a little.

(He is very active typically, however if isn't able to exercise regularly, he gets a little stiff)

We started walking again like normal, his demeanor is normal, but he isn't really eating still. He will eat a little out of his bowl throughout the day, but this is very unlike him.

I feel like I have exhausted all of my options, his eating habits are still not the same:
- We finished a bag of his normal food, and started a new bag. So the food hadn't gone bad
- Last week I started weaning on a new food to see if that would entice him, but that's not working
- When I stared the new food - he started burping sulfur smells, so I gave him 1/2 pepcid for indigestion and it has stopped.
- I also thought the sulfur smell might be tooth decay, but his teeth look fine. I brushed them. I softened his food, but he still isn't eating normally.
- I have given him aspirin thinking his joints might be bothering him - nothing

Side note- he isn't vomiting or having diarrhea. This all seemed like it stemmed from the Bordatella vaccine, but I know it shouldn't have lasted a month.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2017, 02:54 PM
As your chap is getting older and less active maybe he needs less food and this is his way of doing it himself, (is he a heavy chap), he may not need the mount that you put in his bowl. If his bowl has food in it all day this is not the best way to feed him. I would suggest offering him smaller meals and take away what has not been eaten in 15 minutes, do not offer it to him until next feed time. STOP all treats too.
An older dog should need no more than one feed a day, although some people like to feed their dogs 2 times a day with the daily rations split into the 2 feeds.
Try offering him some good quality "Grain Free" kibble. Again only small amounts that are eaten straight away, the quality and goodness will far greater than a grain/cereal based product.

I am un able to comment about the vaccination he has just been given!
Malinowskic3
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2017, 03:44 PM
He doesn't get treats as he has been on a diet. He has lost 22 lbs in the last year and only eats 3 cups of food a day (He is 92 lbs now). He started thyroid tabs last May. He had his thyroid panel when we went to the vet at the end of August and it was normal.

He has terrible allergies, so he has been on a grain free diet for years, with vegetables added.

I was splitting the 3 cups into 2 daily doses. But maybe splitting it into smaller portions throughout the day is a good idea!

Thank you!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Malinowskic3 View Post
He doesn't get treats as he has been on a diet. He has lost 22 lbs in the last year and only eats 3 cups of food a day (He is 92 lbs now). He started thyroid tabs last May. He had his thyroid panel when we went to the vet at the end of August and it was normal.

He has terrible allergies, so he has been on a grain free diet for years, with vegetables added.

I was splitting the 3 cups into 2 daily doses. But maybe splitting it into smaller portions throughout the day is a good idea!

Thank you!
That's rather heavy for a golden retriever. From what I have read on the internet, adult males should be in the range 29=34kg. That's 75lbs at the top end of the range. He is now 92lbs and was 114lbs from your figures.
So maybe Forgotten is right and he does need less food.