View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JAMESNEEDINGHELP
New Member!
Male 

19-08-2017, 01:13 AM

Hello. Advice needed for older dog losing weight...

Hi
I've just joined and am looking for some advice.
I have a JR who is 17 now and I have had him/looked after him since he was 14 weeks old.
In March this year I was attacked while walking my dog very early and before sunrise - the Police could not identify the person as there was no CCTV in the area.
I've noticed since that my dog has been losing weight and I gave him a worming tablet a few days ago. He tolerated it well.
I have not given him a worming tablet before then for at least a year - please don't hate or shame me!
The last few years have been really tricky for me. My parents died really traumatically and, although I have been diagnosed with PTSD, I still try to look after my dog and myself as best as I can.
I do feel very guilty/ashamed that I have not addressed the weight loss of my dog before now.
I know I risk in posting this - knowing that some really loving dog owners will hate me and for that, I'm really sorry, I'm trying my best - can assure you that my dog is much loved.
So, worming and perhaps 'age-related' weight loss aside - has anyone got any tips of food that is healthy and good to feed a dog that will hopefully put on weight as quickly as possible?
Thanks in advance and I would appreciate constructive replies rather than any negative or hateful ones. (You will never be able to beat me up as much as I have myself).
Thanks for reading.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2017, 06:39 AM
I only ever worm my dogs once a year so stop beating yourself up. Raw tripe is good for putting weight on dogs, you can buy it frozen from pets at home. Just add a bit to the normal food.
How does your dog seem in itself? I'd book a vet visit to have a check up, at 17 it could be their digestion isn't working as well as when they were younger. 17 is a great age so you've obviously been doing something right.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Hi and welcome.

First things first, have your dog checked over by the vet. Always the first port of call. At his age, his problem is more likely to be health related.

How is his appetite? You don't mention that he is off his food so again it points to a possible health issue.

I don't worm unless I think it necessary so don't beat yourself up over that and weight loss is usually a gradual thing that we don't often notice until it becomes a worry.

Vets first and foremost. Then there are other things you can try to tempt him to eat more if and when you get the all clear