Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I would think the puppy was insured, not too bad if you've only got the one dog. I have no idea what his fees are, I would imagine they are out of reach to every day people unless they have insurance. My insurance put their prices up so high I couldn't have insured them and fed them. Lona had 2 ops at the same time a few weeks ago, and biopsies.Still cost me less than a year's insurance based on what they wanted, so I look at it as I'm still on a winner, but something like Noel did, the boarding fees for him and the scans, I bet the bill was into 5 figures. The owner of the dog that attacked the puppy could be sued, but doubt if he would have the money, or even acknowledge ownership of the dog for that matter.
CDL, I have a lot of ex GSD people come to me who can no longer tolerate what has happened to their breed. What on earth is wrong with a straight back, leg at each corner, wonderful gait, and ears that don't look they've been borrowed from a donkey. From the comments I've had from some quarters, its MY dogs that look 'wrong'. I beg to differ, they can move properly,they have decent posture and furthermore, looking at piccies of what used to be the 'Alsatian' they are not far off them in appearance, But of course, the breed has 'moved on' where to, I have no idea, Planet Zog I think
Definitely nothing wrong with a nice GSD that can be versatile as the breed was meant to be. I'm one of these owners that sees something happening in front of me and has no idea how it could be prevented. Even within the GSD world working bred lines are shunned for not meeting breed standards where as I think they exceed. I've been told my dog does not meet the standards and questioned if she's in fact a pure bred but only at the pedigree shows. At other events people see the sheer GSD beauty and intelligence and do not even question her breed. To me the breed standard means very little if the dog is not fit for the original purpose, I know all breeds evolve and change slightly but it's a sad day when dogs are unfortunately only bred to 'look a certain way'.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Cheesus!!! So he was well aware what would happen, but dog was still offlead. Totally avoidable then. I make sure I take the girls out when its less likely people will be about. After the number of times Cariad and Lona were attacked by the same dogs from being very young, I make sure my youngsters are as safe as I can keep them, but very sad I have to do this I think.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 07:06 PM
To me the 'working line'GSD are almost a totally different dog, if I was to get a GSD, then it would be working line. However I am too old and too involved in the Utonagan dog now anyway. Another dog I would love (if only I was younger) is a Malinois.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Moobli, really??? That amazes me that the pup had so many health issues coming from a breeder that did do the right thing.Sh!t does happen, of course it does, it amazes me that despite all the health testing that does take place, HD is still a problem, despite everything else that is done, i.e. feeding and care in exercise of a youngster. Nothings ever 100% certain and you can get throwbacks, years later, but still..............
he was certainly a beautiful dog.
In nature sh*t does happen unfortunately and yes, the breeder is very well thought of and their dogs are extensively health tested (way over and above what the KC recommend).

Here is what Fitzpatrick Referrals says about HD.

"What is the cause of hip dysplasia?
This condition is primarily of genetic cause, although environmental factors such as obesity during puppyhood may influence whether an animal with the genes coding for hip dysplasia will develop a clinical problem. Current estimates state that more than one hundred genes code for hip dysplasia. It is important to recognize that environmental factors are unable to cause hip dysplasia, although they can influence whether an animal with the genes that code for hip dysplasia will develop a clinical problem. There is no evidence to support the concept that excessive exercise during puppyhood can contribute to the development of hip dysplasia."
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Ollie's boarding fee's at the vet school in 2010 were £50 a night.

The Bernese breed club are very hot on movement in the show ring. But as I well know even a reputable breeder with parents who are tested for hips and elbows with extremely good scores can sometimes throw one or two out that do have problems. Sometimes it can be enviromental too bad diet wrong exercise in a large breed particularly.
Doesn't excuse those wanting to make a fast buck and breeding very poorly bred type.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 07:17 PM
To me the 'working line'GSD are almost a totally different dog, if I was to get a GSD, then it would be working line. However I am too old and too involved in the Utonagan dog now anyway. Another dog I would love (if only I was younger) is a Malinois.
Working line GSDs are genetically different to the West German Show Line GSDs. This doesn't surprise me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 07:17 PM
This is the GSD story - but beware, you will be in floods of tears!

https://www.thesupervet.com/dandi/

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/t...mand/59953-007
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
This is the GSD story - but beware, you will be in floods of tears!

https://www.thesupervet.com/dandi/
Yup tears. Last bit was a bit blurry for me to read
I like though - as morbid as it might sound - that they show that it's not all happy endings and that it is real life. Makes me cuddle and appreciate my girl that little bit more. Poor puppy though
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Oooh nooooo, still fill up when I think about it, absolutely stunning boy, and died so young before his life even began
That is very very interesting about HD and the genetic codes.
Like you yourself say Lynn, the breeder can do everything possible, and it still goes wrong, as Moobli says, its nature.
Was saying to my friend who has ended up with a high scoring GSD despite being from low score parents. When my two older girls mother was tested (after having had a couple of litters) she was found to be in the '30's. But my girls, are pretty low scoring, Lona's is a bit strange as she was knocked by a car when young (apparently she is 'crippled with HD' yeah course she is- still moves beautifully at 11) but her offspring have been as low as 9 and average at 13. Their father was by no means that low, but I have often wondered as to how a high scoring mother and average scoring father produced them. The litter was probably one of the most tested litter strangely so I am aware of their siblings scores, all between 12 and 15.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2016, 09:46 AM
I knew there was an article somewhere on working lines being genetically different to show lines

https://www.rsv2000.de/en/news/speci...g-des-dsh.html
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >