Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-11-2013, 02:41 AM

You'll Never Guess Where We are!

Howdy all! It's been a while since my last post, (about me and my bud, Buddy going camping), and well, I've got a great excuse!

About 3 weeks ago I finally made it back to Butedale; my "Ghost Town' on the coast of British Columbia. Here's a shot of Butedale from the Inside Passage.

The short story is that I dreamed of living there for years, moved and lived there for a year from Summer to Summer 2010 to 2011. Then, I had a tooth go bad, cost me too much money when I had to go to a city to get it fixed, and so I had to leave Butedale and return temporarily to "civilization" in order to make more money and then come back to Butedale when able.

Well, I got the call to come back about 2 months ago; so I spent a month, and $3300 buying non-perishable groceries, and another $2500.00 on Stuff. Lots of stuff. Chainsaws, and associated gear and fuel / oil. Tools, Tapes and Glues and Putty's and Cements, etc... And then meds, first aid, candles - lots of candles, SPOT Emergency Locator, outboard motor - (1977 British Seagull 40 Plus Mk II only ever run in a test tank for about an hour last year. It's just like new!) Anyways, lots of stuff. It took nearly every shopping hour in that month to get it all too.

Anyhoo, me and Bud got to Heaven about three weeks back, and once I was done hauling that food and stuff (about a ton and a quarter's worth) up the 100 foot high hill to my cabin, (only got the last up here last week), it was time to relax.

Me and Bud relaxing on the porch, taking in the scenery.

Bud was quite happy to become Master of All He Surveys!

Mine! All mine!

The local is friendly. (Tiger, the "Town Cat")

Maybe too friendly?

Anyways, Bud and I are having a blast in our very own private oceanfront town (with the 2227 square kilometer completely uninhabited island it's on as our little back-yard), and we just thought we'd share our happiness.

Cheers!

P.S. If anyone was wondering; satellite internet.

Cheers!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Anyways, Bud and I are having a blast in our very own private oceanfront town (with the 2227 square kilometer completely uninhabited island it's on as our little back-yard), and we just thought we'd share our happiness.
Oh wow! What an amazing read. And what an amazing and determined person you must be - oh I loved reading that and hope you will keep us updated. You are carving your own future and making your dreams come true. I take my hat off to you.

Looking at your photos - if it wasn't so far from my beloved kids - I could happily move into that little cabin beside yours (and then I could have more than just one dog!)

Gonna read it again now! Have you ever thought of writing a book about all this - from when you first thought you knew what you wanted to do?

I hope you are at the very least keeping a BLOG about it all. With your Sat internet connection.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 08:50 AM
What a fantastic place to live
You do realise, we are all going to want to come and holiday with you now don't you
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
What a fantastic place to live
You do realise, we are all going to want to come and holiday with you now don't you
How about a holiday swap Nippy? We let them live on our Pier for a month and .... ?

Fantastic story isn't it. Real feel good stuff. I'm still looking at it here - keep coming back!

And am now reading up all about GHOST TOWNS. We all know who to blame if I don't get anything done today!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butedale,_British_Columbia

I think the OP could definitely expand the Wiki info about Butedale! I'm guessing the General Store is no longer there. Oh I'm so interested in this now - want to know how many people live there. Whether you can just move into abandoned buildings and live in them free? Utilities? Hope OP comes back!
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Welcome back

What an absolutely fantastic looking place!! You and Bud and very lucky
i agree with Tang - blog please!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Yeah I'm up for the move as well, sounds a really interesting place, and am off now to read Pat's link
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 10:29 AM
That sounds fabulous! Why did it become a ghost town?
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 10:30 AM
We sailed up the Inside Passage 5 years ago on a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and it is beautiful. I think we sailed nearby and then carried on up to at Hoonah, which i can imagine would be how Butedale used to be.

Best holiday ever!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi Cory what a lovely spot Butedale is you lucky person
I bet Bud is in heaven too...
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi After a long and tortious journey,I have found our shangri-la,its not as lovely as yours,but it is rural and has a beach 15 minutes away.But you feel that you have come home after all the trials,but the only fly in the ointment,my OH misses his family especially the new baby born a couple of months ago,we seem to have a problem with Skype because our broadband isnt so good and they are five hours away,but all I can hope is that he is happy,he seems to be.Gemini54
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >