Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Chimney now swept

Just had the chimney swept and thank goodness we did. Seems the previous owner burnt wet wood and caused a buildup of soot in the chimney itself. The sweep said it was so bad a couple of sparks and the whole place would have gone up. He removed huge clumps of soot that almost blocked the chimney completely.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Wet wood aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh for more than ten years in our old place I battled to explain to OH that you can't put wet wood into the boiler (Our CH system was fired by a coal burning boiler in the basement but needed wood to get it started)

People don't realise that wood which is infested with bugs, dry rot, wet rot, and all the other things is also 'wet' it won't burn easily and gives off horrible tar like smoke.

People see old wood lying around and think "That's ideal for burning" sorry no it ain't, don't use it, take it down the tip.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Thank goodness it is done and you are now fully 'certified' Mine must have been OK this time as he never said anything and there wasn't a lot of soot in the binliner they left.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Don't worry Harvey the wood that was left will gradually go down the tip. I have done my stint of cleaning and lighting fires and am not thinking of going that way again in the foreseeable future.

Yes we were left with the bag TW only ours doesn't look like soot more like black crispy biscuits and in huge chunks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Get some coal in Sue and light the fire, nothing better on a cold wet miserable day.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-12-2014, 03:45 PM
TW
with 10 radiators and 2 heated towl rails to keep us warm ,coal/wood fires are a definate no no
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
I have done my stint of cleaning and lighting fires and am not thinking of going that way again in the foreseeable future.
In my case for 'foreseeable future' read 'till I snuff it'
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Chimney Sweeps - twaddle!!! If you can't find a small boy to climb up it, then drop a goose down it!! Works a treat either way! As far as wet/dry wood is concerned do you include Ash in that. For according to the old rhyme "Ash wood wet or Ash wood dry, to toast the King's own slippers by!" Bye fer now.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Out of interest how much did your sweep charge? Should get ours done really
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Gordon we live in the 21st century so may be in trouble with both your suggestions

It cost us £46 Dobermonkey so not really expensive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >