Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Tightening 8x4 trailer wheels

I decided it was about time I tightened up the wheels on the Ivor Williams trailer which I must have had now for at least 15 years. I had noticed a bit of "play" ie, wobble when holding top and bottom of wheel.
So had a look at a dealer site and to replace both stub axels would be over £250, so sod that. I then went on a search of the internet. First was to get cotter pins which hold a crown nut in place to stop the nut undoing. No real problem there and getting a kit of them is always handy.

The real problem is a spacer washer to pack out between the wheel bearing and the castle nut. I did manage to find one among my "junk" in the workshop so trial fitted it to make sure it was the right size, inside hole and total outside width which came out at 15mm and 35mm respectively but was actually an imperial size one.

Then the fun started. Could I find anything like my pattern steel washer? no chance. Searched the net for ages and the best I could come up with was an M16 washer in stainless steel which is supposed to have 17mm inside hole and 30mm overall size and that was about the closest. Even finding the nearest size chart was a hunt in itself. Amazon to the rescue , so placed an order and hope that the washers are correct.

So everything should arrive in the next few days, fitting is easy, getting the right bits is not.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2014, 10:58 PM
If ever I have a trailer that needs fixing then I will be onto you like a flash, T.Weed
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-12-2014, 03:56 AM
all done now total cost for packing washers and split pins £20. while fitting I re grease the bearings at the same time.That should last for another 10 years at least.