View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Where do you leave your dogs when you go out?

Following on from the crating two dogs together thread, I'm interested to hear where people put their dogs when they leave them at home? Are they left together or separated?

I, for instance, have various set ups. If it's not too cold and it's dryish I put Malcolm and Bandit out in a kennel that is attached to the side of my house. They have a large run and two wooden kennels inside it to sleep in and get out of the wind. I also have a tarpaulin covering one end to give them some extra shelter.

If it is cold and wet I leave them in the house with Malcolm in a crate and Bandit loose in the living room. I don't trust them loose in the house together because in the process of playing they sometimes get over excited and anything is fair game. I would probably come back to find no rugs, no sofa and a knocked over bookcase from them sliding in to it!

If I'm out for a long time and don't want to crate Malcolm or put them in the kennel they go in the utilities together. I don't leave them in the utilities on a regular basis as it's a shared room and I do not think it's fair on my neighbour to have my dogs leaping all over her when she goes to do her washing

When I leave they both get something to chew be it a kong or an antler and I always make sure they have tuggy toys in their kennel otherwise they are tempted to use their bedding...

I also have an ip camera set up so I can keep an eye on what they are getting up to.

Even those without multiple dogs I'd still be interested to hear where you leave yours and why.

ETA - I do still have Scooby it's just that due to his separation anxiety he never gets left anywhere except the boot of the car and the staff kennel at work.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
I leave my two free run of downstairs in my house. They have a dog flap to access the garden. I find they are happier and quieter this way. I used to leave them outside but neighbours complained about them barking.
JMC
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Mine all stay together in the kitchen. I don't leave them the run of the house or they're all instantly on the chairs! We banned this long ago as no-one else could get a chair, - and if they did they got covered in hair! They are absolutely fine in the kitchen, and it makes it less of a problem if any of them wee
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
in the kitchen.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2012, 10:10 AM
In the kitchen on the sofa, the laundry is off the kitchen, and has a bed in their too, when they were young they went in the laundry in crates.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 10:10 AM
If I am only going out for a couple of hours they have run of the downstairs.

Any longer than a couple of hours I shut them in the kitchen. Tilly and Dexter are fine but Bo is tempted to get up to mischief if she is left to roam for too long.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I have just got another dog and my two get left with the run of the down stairs. Which is only really kitch bathroom and lounge. they seem happy and they alway have lots of chews lying around and I leave the TV on for them.

I did make the mistake of leaving some yoghurt pots in teh bin and came back to find that hovis had shredded them once so I now check that nothing edible is around before leaving the house.

I do make sure that they both have the same chew and that are other thing as well so they don't compete for anything. Although ellen is so laid back I can't see them fight over anything.

Ndidi
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Mine have the run of the house including my bedroom and bathroom and I can leave them as long as I like without any problem.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
In the kitchen/dining room. It is very rare that nobody is home though.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Mine have the run of the house when I go out, but they are usually in the same place I left them asleep when i get home. They are too lazy to get up if they don't have to.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >